1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts on Interface. Need Camera suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by johnm0187, Apr 30, 2013.

1. johnm0187

johnm0187

Hello all,

I've been doing my research on an audio interface and after judging my budget and reading around I've narrowed it down to the PreSonus Audio Box : http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/presonus-audiobox-usb-2x2-usb-recording-system

I was just trying to get some opinions on it before I went out and purchased it in the next few days.

Also I am in the market for a solid camera. It doesn't have to be incredible, but just quality audio and video for recording sets and videos for youtube. I'm working with a camera from the early 2000s that is this quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP8HSJc-Q24

I know nothing about cameras so any suggestions would be great. I figured I can spend about a hundred bucks on it.

Thanks for any feedback,

John
  2. nick98338

nick98338

I don't know the audiobox, specifically, but I've been using a Presonus interface for close to six years now. It's still pumping. Can't help ya with the camera... I use the smartphone.:smug:
  3. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

For the camera, are you looking to record gigs? With decent audio?

Prolly not going to happen for $200. A camera that does decent low light video can get pricy, then add decent audio on top of that and it'll be even more.

The Zoom Q3HD has great audio and does HD video. The video is decent but nothing spectacular.
  5. johnm0187

johnm0187

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up picking up the presonus 22 VSL, and I have enjoyed my limited use of it so far.

As for the camera, I would use it for home recordings, gigs, open mics, basically anything you could want to record a video of.

As for the Presonus 22 VSL, would the results of the recordings turn out better if I used a D.I.? If so, what D.I. would you suggest?

John
  6. mpdd

mpdd Supporting Member

in june i'm getting a canon hf g30, but i'll only use the camera audio for music video sync purposes
  7. johnm0187

johnm0187

Actually instead of the DI question, would it be better to use my BBE Bmax in front of the 22VSL? And would you get a XLR to microphone cable or an XLR to 1/4 inch?

Thanks
  8. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

You don't need a DI to record through the 22, just plug in and go. Of course you can use the BBE if you have a tone you know you want to print, or use the Presonus pre amp and tone shape later. I can use any of a half dozen different ways to plug into my interface, depending on the project.