1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts on my Board ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mike_111, Feb 3, 2014.

1. mike_111

mike_111

I have just finished a stint in the recoding studio and this is how my board has been sat.

Was just wondering if anyone had any tips, comments or even recommendations for me?

[​IMG]
  2. cubanbass

cubanbass Supporting Member

I'd say nice arrangements of pedals types. I've never tried the punch factory only because most people say it does not do anything useful to their sound... Looks like you can get a variety of sounds out of that set up. Total utility, nothing boutique.

If you don;t have a tuner on your headstock, a pedal tuner is always useful. Good for muting too.
  3. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I would try putting the BSW earlier in the chain, like right after the multiplexer. Thats just my opinion though. WHat works for me may not work for you. It may track better though earlier in the chain. You have a nice board there man! Everything else looks good to me.
  4. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Supporting Member Supporting Member

it's going to be tough turning that Mooer on without accidentally turning on the Boss or Digitech in the middle of a gig... Believe me, I had the problem :)
  5. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

FWIW, I have been experimenting with my ODs in front of filters, as the increased signal really enhances the impact. Looks great though; if it's working for you definitely don't change a thing, that's a great selection!
  6. mike_111

mike_111

'cubanbass' - Cheers man, the reason I use the punch factory is it is actually very underrated pedal if your going for the rage or flea sort of tone, it sort of helps really punch the sound through if dialed in right. Ohh and there is a tuner next to the punch factory sorry must not be very clear... its a Korg Pitchblack

'gregmon79' - I use it as an envelope currently but got my eyes set of a vintage Qtron, freeing that up for some experimentation. But as 'coughiefiend' said it works well after the lesser OD and before the harsh fuzz

'Lebowsky' - Cheer for the tip man I've been looking into bigger boards as that one is pretty packed
  7. odineye

odineye Supporting Member

Nice, effective looking board. I could see having a lot of fun with that.

8. aprod

aprod

I agree.
  9. mike_111

mike_111

Is there any pedals anyone thinks I should experiment with??

Or possibly alternatives to what I currently use???
  10. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I myself would swap out the ODB-3 for a Dr. Scientist The Elements.

But it really depends on what other kinds of sounds you are thinking of adding to your
    board.

For a fun kind of subtle spaceyness I really like the MXR phase 100.
  11. mike_111

mike_111

I like that Dr. Scientist pedal its not to dissimilar to the ODB but there's more control-ability....

I'm a Rock/Hard Rock/Funk band if that helps at all in the matter... I'm willing to look into anything mad really
  12. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Hey I just grabbed a Mooer LoFi myself! Neat little jam. How are you using yours? Curious as to what settings and sounds others are getting from it
  13. mike_111

mike_111

Its great to mess around with, I would say its more down to taste with this pedal but my preferd setting is...

Having it in synth mode for a more over the top sound, with the mix at about 2'o'clock and then the sample rate and bit depth quite high. So its an almost bit crushing ring modulator type sound. Its also quite nice paired with the octave to give it real synth depth.

I'm however yet to find a space/sound that fits in a song with my band, its more for jamming and spontanious live solo's currently.

Hope this has helped, what setting have you found work for you??
  14. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Cool! Haven't tried synth mode live yet, have just left it in bass mode. I'll have to try it!

So far, I just turn the mix all the way up, the sample all the way up, and the bit all the way down. Sounds killer for that Nintendo-like tone! Goes well with an octaver, but my fav is to put it into a delay for spacey/trippy ringing video-game solo tone. (This came from the old "Juan Aldrete" concept of plugging it in, turning all knobs to 10, and seeing what happens!)

Haven't had huge time to try and see if it's "versatile" yet (although with a bit crusher, "versatile" is really all relative) but I did find that one setting and so far, just go with it!

Mine gets crazy hum/feedback/noisy with the "bit" knob though, yours? (That's mainly why I just keep it off) although that my be part of it's appeal lol!
  15. mike_111

mike_111

Yeah I have used that sort of 8bit Nintendo setting you was talking about its pretty sweet

Its not greatly versatile but in synth mode its defiantly far more full on and crazier which is always fun. But with it comes more hum which like you said down to taste but it has its place and there are ways to dial it in where the hum is overtaken by the playing
  16. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

A Prunes & Custard might spin your wheels.