1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts on my new board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Jan 19, 2014.

1. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Bass>TurboTuner>Xerograph Deluxe>Empress Comp>Octron>Tall Font Russian>Duality>Vintage Microtubes>B7K

[​IMG]

Thoughts:

1. Upon first impression --sounds awesome. :bassist:
    2. Not sure but I think I've got the theory right: the placement of the envelope filter should be before the compressor, the compressor should be before the octave, and the octave should be as in early in the chain as possible (before dirt, etc).
    3. I think eventually I want to replace the Empress for an FEA Labs dual band comp/limiter and the Octron for a IE Subterranea.

Your turn!
  2. Guinness20

Guinness20

Looks ace, some quality gear on there! Interesting that you have the combo of the tfr, vmt and duality - how do you use the two fuzzes together, and how do you stop the vmt and tfr from sounding like a muffled mess?

Soundclips!
  3. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

Cables are very neat and you have plenty of stomp space. Looks very user-friendly.
  4. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

Nice gear, looks great. I would have placed the pedals in the same order as you.
  5. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I would put the octave and at least one of your dirt pedals before the Xero and the compressor would be last to level out volume spikes from the filter. I know that you use the compressor to improve tracking on your octave but have you tried just rolling your tone off? Helps with my OC-2.
  6. Got2SadowskyNYC

Got2SadowskyNYC

Disclosures:
    Artist: Sadowsky, Bag End, Visual Sound, Pedaltrain, George L
    Would benefit from a George L's cable kit.

The top row needs to be shifted down just a bit. The jacks are sticking off the edge of the board and can be hit and bent/broken pretty easily.
  7. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Hey thanks everybody! I may attempt to post sound-clips once I get my recording gear situated.

Can you elaborate on what the George L's would improve on?

I think I may shift that top row down a bit, but I'm not sure how to tackle that mess around the Xero.
  8. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

So what if I did:

Tuner>Octron>TFR>Xero>Comp>Duality>Microtubes>B7K

I want to keep the B7K at the end of the signal for its EQ and DI.
  9. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

Definitely, have a go at that.

Have you tried both your TFR and your Duality in front of your Xerograph? Did you prefer the TFR for some reason? I'm asking because I'm dying to try the Duality gated fuzz side with a Xerograph. :D But also, depending on your intended use, the Duality is nice and touchy up front where your fingers can get to it. Perhaps the TFR is too, though.
  10. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

I'd put those pedals in this chain:

Turner>Octron>VMT>Duality>TFR>Xero>Comp>B7K.

Also I suggest an expression pedal for the Xero, makes it even more awesome.
  11. kevteop

kevteop

I always prefer filters after dirt. You'll lose some of the envelope effect, but that's what you get with that particular filter. Some filters have either effects loops for housing a fuzz pedal or an 'envelope in' jack so you can still send them a clean signal for operating the envelope follower.
  12. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

So after some consideration I've decided to go with this setup:

[​IMG]

I was wondering: is it bad to have the patch cables wrapped like that?
  13. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Nice. Did you try the Duality after the VMT ?

I'd assume as long as you're not making "hard corners" it should be fine. But personally, I'd give them a bit of slack.

cheers!
  14. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

No actually I haven't tried that config yet. I'll be sure to try that next! I was thinking the same thing about giving more slack too..
  15. aphexafx

aphexafx A mind is a terrible thing. Supporting Member

*looks for Xerograph*
  16. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I would put the octave before the compressor. And what happened to your filter? I love having a good envelope filter on my board.
  17. MicG

MicG Supporting Member

Octave before compressor?? I thought after would yield better tracking?
    Yea, I thought I couldn't make it work with the Xero but I'm reconsidering..

The signal path would then be:

Bass>tuner>Octave>Comp>Xero>VMT>Duality>B7K
  18. HolmeBass

HolmeBass

I wouldn't worry about tracking with the octaver until you find that there is a problem with tracking. Also, playing the same thing on different strings/neck position often takes care of tracking issues for me.
  19. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Disclosures:
    playing bass since 2005