Thoughts on neck materials?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Marial, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

I'm going to order a new neck for my Squier VM fretless Jazz and I've narrowed the neck materials to the following combinations:

1. Goncalo alves w/bocote fingerboard
    2. Goncalo alves w/macasser ebony fingerboard
    3. Goncalo alves w/pao ferro fingerboard
    4. Goncalo alves w/goncalo alves fingerboard

From what I understand ebony will have the brightest tone, pao ferro slightly warmer, with bocote and goncalo alves probably providing a similar and, of my choices, warmest tones.

How much does using goncalo alves as the shaft wood affect the tone? Is it primarily up to the fingerboard wood? What I'm going for is a very warm but articulate tone, with clear but not harsh high end and good mwah.

I'm also going to replace the stock pickups with Antiquity IIs and I'm going to string it with TI Jazz flats. I haven't been a fan of the TIs on my Hwy One Jazz, but my tonal goals with fretless are a little different and I think they may work quite well.

Anyhow, just looking for your thoughts on the above wood combinations. Thanks!
  2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I would go with ebony because it will hold up longest.
  3. Marial

I'm going to use flats on this bass (I have rounds on my Pentabuzz since it has an epoxy-ed fingerboard) and I have decent technique so I'm less concerned with durability than I am with tone.
  4. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I have fretless experience with a couple of basses. One is my Pedulla Pentabuzz the other was a modded Fender Jazz with a Pao Ferro board. The Fender was more mid focused than the Pedulla but who knows if he board had anything to do with that since the two basses were so different in construction and electronics. I can say I did like the way the Pao Ferro felt and played. It was very fast and didn't show signs of wear like the Pedulla does. I got a fair amount of mwah but not as much a the Pedulla.
  5. Marial

Bumpity.... anyone else care to chime in?
  6. sowilson

sowilson

pao ferro for max mwah