1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts on Roadworn Fenders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod76, Feb 16, 2012.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 Cort bassist by obligation Supporting Member

I bought a RW 60's Jazz neck for my Jaco build, and it looks and feels perfect.

[​IMG]

I was lurking on MF and taking a look at the RW P Bass in Sunburst.
    [​IMG]

Am I being a snob by saying that I would be less than pleased if I recieved a $1,000 bass with this many seams in the body?
  2. beatdatthang

beatdatthang

If a bass gets "road worn" due to actual road wear and play that's fine and can add character.

I just don't get why someone would pay for a "new" bass that's been beat to hell at the factory to look "relic'd".

If you want a road worn instrument, do it yourself... ;)
  3. bassgod76

I wasn't even referring to the finish, but rather the wood underneath a translucent finish.
  4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

i'd say the guy who pasted that pic on MF is an idiot! :bag:
  5. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

I have grown to not be bothered by the seams. In fact I am starting to like them a bit. Plenty of vintage Fenders are like that. In fact Fullerton era reissues which are highly regarded are often very obviously 4 pieces under a sunburst finish. So really it makes no difference BUT for that money if something bothers you from a visual point of view then it's wise to pass.
  6. cnltb

cnltb

Roadworn basses? For me that's a "No, thanks".
  7. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Most are not that bad that I have seen and played but remember its a Mexi. IMO the RW are great basses but way overpriced for what they are.
  8. bassgod76

Yeah, I'd rather save up $100 more and get a real MIA P Bass.
  9. THand

THand Supporting Member

I think it's a "try before you buy" situation.

Just bought a RW Jazz, new, for $899.

On one side of it was a 'merican Standard Jazz, on the other, a Squier VM 60's Jazz. The MIA was about what I would expect, no good or bad surprises. The Squier was very good. The RW was the better playing/sounding bass of all 3 by far, to me anyway. I don't care about the finish one way or the other, really.
  10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

btw,.. i love RW's, Relic's, and Vintage over show room gloss!!!

ANY DAY, :hyper:!!!
  11. DogBone

DogBone

Yeah, on paper it seems logical to just pay a little extra and get a MIA.

But I'm telling you, you have got to play one of those frickin' RWs to really get it. They are simply fantastic playing and sounding instruments.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Relic'd thing personally, and really could not care less to get into another discussion about it. That is beside the point.

It's a ridiculously great playing instrument and that's the point that deserves to be kept in perspective and not lost in RW discussions. ;)

To the OP, try a few out, the one I am lusting after in my local shop, if it had a seam it was very unoticable.
  12. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien

Multi-piece bodies are not a Mexican only thing.
  13. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

At that price I will agree. I have seen the prices on RW P's and J basses falling. In fact I know a dealer who has been trying to sell a couple for a little over his cost (so he says) since they don't sell well for him. He said the RW thing never took in his store and people want a bass or guitar that looks new not old and beat up at new prices :eyebrow:
  14. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Just ignore the looks and play the bass. If it sounds and feels good, then decide if you want to pay the asking price for it.

But I still don't understand how someone can say that a MIM RW bass is actually 'better' than a MIM Standard bass on the whole. :rollno:
  15. jbiscuti

jbiscuti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    Whoa, some interesting responses here. Have you guys even played one? I’ve had vintage P’s, AVRIs, American Standards, etc. This Road Worn absolutely hangs with the best of them, if not bests them. It immediately became my go-to gigging bass. My other basses are collecting dust now, and they are certainly no slouches either.

Yes, I get that not everybody is into the “relic” thing, but if you are bashing them for that reason only, then you have completely missed the point.

Putting them down just because they’re MIM? Come on. Don't spend another $100 for a MIA - save $100 and get a better bass. :)

These are absolutely fantastic instruments. I didn't like the guitars but the basses are in another league. Play one for a while and you won’t care where it’s made or that it has a little aging on it.
  16. pudgychef

pudgychef

well they use quite a few different components.....a RW is not simply a banged up MIM standard...

the classic series 50s P is much closer to the RW P than a MIM Standard....
  17. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Easy. I like the thinner finish and the wider fretboard of my RW Precision. And aesthetically, I prefer vintage features.
  18. Alysson Nishiya

Alysson Nishiya

I would like to share this:
    I had a MIM Standard Jazz and then I traded for a RW P, I know I can't compare the sound and fell but I must say that the build quality is a lot superior. I'm really happy!
  19. jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Pics never hurt. :)

[​IMG]
  20. bassgod76

I've heard many great things about these basses. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to try one out. Kinda digging the fiesta red.