1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts on the 220 watt Ampeg combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TUEP, Jan 5, 2014.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Its seems to be a step up from the BA-115 100 watter. How does it hold up volume and tone wise. Right now I have been doing practices with a 100 watt Acoustic combo or a 65 watt Trace Elliot Boxer combo.

Lead guitar player is using a 60 watt all tube Marshall combo and the rhythm guitar player either uses a 100 watt Line 6 combo, a mic'ed 40 watt Crate combo, or a 65 watt all tube Fender combo. Drummer hits pretty solid, and both the little combos I am using cut through fine as long as I dial the mids in ok. But I wouldn't mind some nicer tone and a little more head room.

My SVT-350 solid state head would be a bit much and in my area many of the sound guys are preferring bassist, and guitar players to have combos rather than half stacks.

So what are the thoughts on this amp?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/ampeg-ba115hp-220-watt-1x15-bass-series-combo-amp
  2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I like Ampeg heads and combos. I looked at the 210SP and a few others and then found a used BA500 in mint condition for $300 so I bought that. 350 watts at 4 ohms and 540 at 2 ohms. It is heavy though, 95 pounds.
  3. TUEP

TUEP

4. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I don't understand what a soundguy would care if it's a combo versus a stack. I hope these aren't hired soundguys that are telling you what to use o_O.
    More wattage isn't going to buy you much volume, especially in a combo. I don't even think you'll get to dial in more low end. You'd be much better off using a good cab with your head... even if it's a good 2x10 it'll smoke your combos.
  5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 100 watts through a single 15 vs 220 watts through a 15 is almost no difference. What you need for volume is more spkrs, NOT more wattage.
  6. TUEP

TUEP

Hmmmm...well my 100 watt Acoustic combo has a speaker out jack in which I could run my GK Backline 1x15 cab and the combo's 1x15 at the same time. So I guess 100 watts through two 15's would give me more head room than 220 through 1x15 in a combo?