1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thoughts on the Hartke 2.5 XL Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by gjbassist, Jan 19, 2014.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

I'm looking at a trade for a Hartke 2.5 XL cabinet that is in really nice shape. I haven't had the chance to play through it yet but most of the reviews I have seen have been very positive about how it sounds. I am not finding any newer posts since the cabinet has been discontinued for a while. I'm wondering who still has this cabinet and what you think of it. I'm a bit concerned that it's only rated at 200 watts. Those who have owned it what are your thoughts on it? Any issues with farting out or blown speakers?

2. gjbassist

3. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Sorry, haven't demo'd this one.

4. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Ummm, they are HEAVY!
    Good at low end, which could be a good thing or bad depending on the room.
    I had one paired with a 210XL on top. Probably sounded like an Ampeg 410HLN.
    I sold it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chicago_mike

chicago_mike Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    The speakers are double coned. Meaning double the thickness of regular aluminum hartkes.

Bill Dickens used these and the 4.5XL for years. Yes, HEAVY!!!! Good tone though.

7. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Wow, the spec on that is 66 lbs! That IS heavy! It's only 12 pounds lighter than my Hydrive 410!

8. gjbassist

Yeah I noticed they are big and heavy for a 210. I also read that they have a nice deep tone. I'm a bit concerned about the 200 watt rating. That seems really low and I'm concerned about overpowering it with my LMIII.

9. DanJM

DanJM

I had one but sold it and upgraded several months ago. Not a bad cab, especially for the price I paid for it. It does well in a band setting, cuts through the mix and has what I would consider a pretty bright sound. It's built like a tank and is IME very reliable. I upgraded for a couple of reasons... It didn't do well as a standalone cab. It wasn't loud enough, and lacked the lows I needed (I paired it with a 115XL, a setup that I was pretty happy with). It was also far too big and heavy (66 lbs) of a cab to haul to gigs (especially for a cab that couldn't cut it as a standalone). No issues with farting for me but the cab was a little deficient in the lows and didn't handle the low B.