1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thoughts On These Two Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFishMonger, Dec 28, 2013.

?

Which Would You Purchase?

Poll closed Jan 7, 2014.
  1. Squier

119 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Spector

132 vote(s)
    52.6%
  1. TheFishMonger

TheFishMonger

So I'm in the market for a new used bass :p, and I'm trying to decide between a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass (not sure on the year but it's probably only 1-3 years old I would guess) or an older Spector (performer?), the seller says he's had the Spector for a little over 10 years.

I've tried out the Squier and I for the price I think they have some nice pickups and a good sound. The guy is moving in a couple days and so I'll probably have to decide which to buy in like 2-3 days.

I've fiddled for a little bit on a new model of the Spector a while back in a GC, and liked the feel of it, but it was a few months ago so I forget how much I liked the sound of it. I'll be going to check this guy's out on Monday maybe, and will have to make a choice between the two the next day likely.

A friend of mine is trying to steer me away from the Squier, but I was just wanting to hear any pros and cons from anyone on TB who's had any experience with these or just has an opinion on which you think is better.

Thanks!

Squier - $200
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4223717926.html
    Spector - $250
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/msg/4248753993.html
  2. pfox14

pfox14

If that is the only two choices then I would go with the Squier.
  3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Both are good basses. I would lean towards the Spector but the neck might be a bit chunky for you compared to the thin Jazz neck.

All about personal preference really, but it you like the Spector's feel/tone, I would go that route.
  4. unclebass

unclebass

You apparently already know how the Squier feels and sounds. If you try the Spector and it feels good and gives you the tone you like, buy it before it gets away. Not a bad deal if you get an amp and case with it. If you try it out and are not sure, pass it up and go after the Squier. Don't worry if the Squier sells before you get to it, Squiers come along alot more often and you will be able to find another one soon. FWIW, I only played Fenders and Squiers, until I purchased an Epiphone EB-3 about 3 weeks ago, also on craigslist. I am really happy with it. Bottom line, go with what you will enjoy playing!!
  5. TheFishMonger

TheFishMonger

Yeah I know it's mostly subjective when it comes to instruments, but I haven't been playing very long so I feel like if it comes down to liking them about the same and I don't have but a day to think about it I might regret not going with the other. Guess I was sort of hoping to hear of people having these basses what they liked or disliked about them.

Like you said, the Squier mod jazz's are probably going to show up more often used, which is why I'm sort of leaning towards the Spector now, but I'll just have to see how I like the tone on it.
  6. CarpeBasso

CarpeBasso

I recently bought a Squier VM Jazz fretless - still can't believe how nice a bass I got for the money! Don't know the Spector, but I love my Squier.
  7. KingRazor

KingRazor

I love the vintage modified series so I'd vote for the Squier.
  8. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Both excellent basses for the money. Being a Spector fan/player, that would be my vote. The Performers are Chinese made, but the one or two I tried were still good entry-level Spectors. But if the Fender vibe is more your thing, you will be very happy with the Squier.
  9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Spector hands down.
  10. MatLow

MatLow

I own the spector. I also tried the squier VM Jazz bass. They are both very beautiful! So the real question is: "What would you need?" . Because the bass sound different, or better, are totally different.
    Keep in mind that, for the value they have, are both very good!
  11. VanillaThundah

VanillaThundah

Make sure you play both in person if at all possible. While many of the Squiers are great, there are some stinkers out there and I'm sure it's the same with the Spector. Tone is something that can be overcome though....especially on the Squier. Dimarzio model j's in mine and an audere 4-band preamp....bass sounds like 20 basses in one. Squier would be easier to sell if you want to as well. I personally love my Squier VM 70's J :bassist:
  12. C.Linton

C.Linton Supporting Member

13. FiveStringer1

FiveStringer1

14. gregmon79

gregmon79 We've come to kill gods...... Supporting Member

I voted Squier. But after looking at the pics and sale posts, it wpould be a hard decision for me. It depends on what type of sound/tone youre going for IMO. Both those basses will bring you to two different worlds and feel. They are both great basses for the price and either one will probably do you well. The jazz will be very well rounded and play easier, I think anyway. The other will be more of a modern sound and as stated the neck will be a tad chunkier or thicker. Two pretty different basses but both will offer you some great performance.
  15. Tracebassplayer

Tracebassplayer Supporting Member

I'd go with the Spector. Getting away from the sound issue... The curved body is much more comfortable and the neck is smooth and fast.
    But, beware of SAS - Spector Acquisition Syndrome.
    They're like Ruffles, you can't have just one.

You can get a used Legend Classic for about the same money and it's one level up from the Performer.
    Customer Service is top notch as well.
    If you want a really good opinion on Spector Basses, go to t the Spector Owners Club thread. Lotta great people in there and always willing to help with anything Spector. Even Spector Basses Web Master is in there.
  16. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I don't like the way the Spector looks, so I voted Squier.
  17. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Supporting Member

Squier.
  18. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you are really in the market for a new (used) bass, I don't see why you want to limit yourself to these two choices, especially if the guy is moving and you have to rush into a decision.
  19. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

Honestly, those basses are so very different, both in terms of tone and feel, that it would be impossible to objectively choose one over the other. They are both good buys at those prices, so it all comes down to personal preference.

The Spector will have a thicker, more C shaped neck and will sound much brighter. In order to be sure you've made the right purchase, you're just going to have to try each out -- and I would never buy anything from CL without trying it out first anyway. Buy the one that feels right with confidence, though, at those prices.
  20. cba_bass

cba_bass

The squier with the spector bridge..