1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thoughts On this Custom Build Idea

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cv115505, Apr 8, 2014.

1. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    Nothing too cosmic... I am doing an Precision Bass... Just want some people who know more than me to weigh in with any ideas... Thanks!

-Alder Body with a Metallic Gold satin finish

-5pc neck Maple with 2 Bubinga stripes and a Padouk fingerboard, stainless med-jumbo frets cream binding, cream dot inlays headstock painted to match body and a double action truss rod

-Bone nut

-Schaller roller bridge and Schaller tuners

-Bourns blue pots and Lollar pickup (thinking about placing the pickup a tad closer to the bridge than the typical P, but not 100% on that yet) that Buzzard Bass Shop silver plated wire

... SO, do I have the ultimate Precision, or a load of crap?

2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

It's hard to mess up a P bass. That being said, I have one little gripe with your plan. I feel like the reddish orange of Padauk would really clash with the gold finish. It it were me, I'd go for a darker brown fingerboard wood like wenge or ebony.

3. cv115505

Disclosures:
    Yeah, I am going with what the builder has in stock... I think with the shade of gold I am doing (think 73 Chevelle SS or a more brown/gold) the Padauk would not clash... I weighed regular old rosewood and bacote, but I held the Padouk and it just seemed like a much more solid wood. I could also hold out for him to get more Brazilian Cherry in I suppose.

4. My two cents is that if you are going all the way on a custom build, don't ever settle for what wood is in stock unless it is killer and really makes you crazy. Otherwise hold out and help him track down the perfect wood for you.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cv115505

Disclosures:
    My luthier just got Brazilian Cherry in stock today a very dark piece with nice figuring... problem solved! Will post pictures as the build progresses!

7. cv115505

Disclosures:
  8. RickBlair

RickBlair

If the pots and silver wire are far more expensive than commonly available parts I'd say those are a waste of money.

Rick B.

Technotitclan likes this.
  9. cv115505

Disclosures:
    they aren't really... the bourns pots were a bit pricier than usual and I'm not using the silver wire