1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thoughts on this DB for sale in my area?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by garbanzo, Dec 15, 2012.

1. garbanzo

garbanzo

Howdy! Total newb to DB. I'm a bass guitarist who has found himself courted by the dark side, so I'm learning what I can about what to look for and such in my quest. After reading that neck repairs aren't exactly the worst thing in the world, I revisited this classified ad that I'd previously skipped past. What do y'all think about this bass?
    http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=23234790&cat=500&lpid=&search=bass

2. Mandobassman

Mandobassman

I guess it all depends on the sound, but I'd be a little cautious of the neck repair. I, personally, wouldn't agree to buy it unless I was able to have a qualified luthier check it out. Why is this seller selling a bass "valued at $5000" for $1350. I wouldn't think that a well-done neck repair would bring the value down that much.

3. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF

A fully carved, no-name Chinese bass that sells for $5k with a $75 Fiberglas bow is questionable enough. The same bass, repaired by who knows who with "industrial grade epoxy" for $1350 smells like a trap. Neck repairs aren't the end of the world, but for a beginner, spend an extra hundred bucks and get a nice predictable Shen SB-80.

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

I'd pass.

And I love CCB's.

BUT

I love 'em because they're affordable, they're "real" instruments unlike coffin/box basses, and they allow (require) the user to learn how to work on an instrument.

A "violin shop" that uses "industrial grade epoxy" on anything on an instrument, shouldn't IMHO be allowed near any classical instrument.

Regardless of the trade, that usually translates as:
    "We have this here **** that's only marginally "better" than what You have there. This here ***** costs XXX amount, so Yours would be a hair less in value".
    Or the owner may just come up with the latter all by themselves.

AND, if You wish to "trade up", then the "value" all of a sudden isn't quite the quoted anymore ;).

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. garbanzo

garbanzo

So the general consensus seems to be that I should pass on this one and continue to spend time looking and educating myself. Thanks!

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

+1

8. Champagne

Champagne

9. Don Higdon

Don Higdon

A bass repairman that uses "industrial strength epoxy" is someone I'll never go to.

10. garbanzo

garbanzo

Thanks for all the input, kids. I'll keep my eyes peeled. I don't want to order an instrument online, as I want to play on it before buying. So few DBs pop up in the classifieds, though, so it might take a while.

11. bejoyous

bejoyous

Give Scoggins Violin Shop a call and get their opinion about it - 801-328-8341. It's a Chinese made bass for sure, but you never know.

No buying without trying!

12. Champagne

Champagne

13. crgaston

crgaston

Just a noob trying to learn, and this seems to be a "teachable moment", so...

Looking at the neck repair, it looks like part of the pegbox was what cracked. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the reason hide glue is used on classical instruments primarily so they can be taken apart and reassembled later? Since this epoxy was used in a place where there normally wouldn't be a glue joint, what are the negative aspects of using the epoxy?

Also, I will point out that Scoggins is identified as the shop that made the repair. A brief search online shows that they have a good reputation.

Garbanzo, If I were in your position, I would ask the seller to meet me at Scoggins and have them give it a lookover in your presence. If you like it, make him an offer. At the very least, you'd get an idea of what to look for while evaluating instruments in the future.

On the other hand, while I understand your reticence to mail-order, a Shen from Upton's would certainly be something to look into as well. Based on the reputations of both Shen and Upton, might be the less risky proposition. And you'd get a bag as well as an adjustable bridge.

Good luck in your quest!

14. jb27

jb27

+1
    That's what I ended up doing and couldn't be happier with it.

15. garbanzo

garbanzo

As he's a friend's brother, we've been emailing about other aspects of starting to learn DB, and he will likely be my first teacher. I went ahead and sent him the link, so I'll get his thoughts on it. Another DB friend had reservations about it and told me to post it here for a broader response.

16. garbanzo

garbanzo

I wondered this, as well. A friend pointed out that animal glue was more common for it's malleability but noted that a neck repair might be different. Anyone have any opinions on this?

I thought about doing this, or even meeting at Peter Prier's Violin-Making School for a second opinion, as both stores are mere blocks from my place, but the seller lives 30-45 minutes south, so I didn't want to ask him to drive up with the bass if it wasn't worth checking out, although I like the idea of seeing various basses just to get an idea of what to look at.

17. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Generally hide glue is used on any seam or joint that you may want to access later. On seams it also serves to give way at the seam during weather changes rather than having the top crack. People worry about open seam but that what you'd want to have happen.

Some luthiers do use a more permanent glue on a break that is not a seam - such as that pegbox break.

18. garbanzo

garbanzo

Alright, cats, I called Scoggins, and they kinda remember the bass. Apparently the seller brings in other instruments for repair, so I'm thinking he probably has a lost in shipping business or something. She said they use epoxy on neck repairs because of the torque and due to its more permanent nature over the hide glue generally used elsewhere on such instruments. She said if he wants to bring it back in the shop sometime, I can try it out there, and their resident bassist could check it out for me. She also offered to call another customer of hers with a bass for sale and get back to me with details on it. Also, Adam says he trusts Scoggins' work and that the bass might be worth checking out.

19. gottliver

gottliver

Sounds like a great shop.

20. Champagne

Champagne

Just be careful. If you ever decide to sell it, it may be a very hard item to sell or you would have to sell it cheap if you ever wanted to get a different bass.