Thoughts on this Setup

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fletz, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Hey guys. I am currently on the "I-Love-My-Bass-So-I'll-Play-With-Effects" kick (every 2-3 years I do this). Anyway, here is my set up:

[​IMG]
    image by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    image (1) by peterdannenfelser, on Flickr

As for the pedals:

I play with the MXR Chorus Deluxe on almost all the time. The crossover feature is amazing and gives me the "me-tone" I've been in search of for years. Keeps the bass full and gives the upper register some "sing." Best chorus I've ever played.

I use the MXR '78 Badass Distortion almost all the time too to dirty up my tone. The cleanliness of the Genz is awesome, but this almost makes it sound a little Ampeg-like. I boost the bass knobs on the amp to ensure I don't lose any bottom end and keep the tone on the distortion at about 10:00. I switch it off for some of the "older" tunes we do. Beatles, Paul Simon, etc.

The MXR Envelope Filter is really just a toy. But I love having it. The Big Muff is great for "punking out" during harder songs or to fill up a little under guitar solos.

The Markbass booster is a wonder-tool. Perfect for when I need a little bump to get some attention or when the song calls for the bass to take a little stronger position (Psycho Killer, Are You Gonna Be My Girl, etc.)

Anyway, that's my rig. I am back in a cover band and we'll be playing regularly (I hope) and instead of pushing on getting new basses, I hope to finally settle on this set up. The two basses are all a gigging bassist needs, the Mesa cab is a monster and the electronics are very versatile. :bassist:

2. Mortom27

Mortom27

Nice set up, I really like that 212 mesa cab i had the chance to play with a 410 & 212 mesa cabs one time using my GK1001RBII and it was a delight, been trying to get my hands on those cabs ever since.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

If it were mine, I'd have some dirt in front of the filter. Makes a HUGE difference.

4. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Would you recommend putting the distortion first, then envelope, then chorus?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  7. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Supporting Member

I would. YMMV...

8. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

Envelope stays first in my opinion. I think the only that should be before an envelope filter is an octave. Get as much control over sensitivity as possible on that filter.

9. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Cool. I'll give it a go

10. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    So I'm going to go:

Env -> Dist -> Chorus -> Fuzz -> Boost

11. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    No. Try to keep dynamics as much as I can and always screw up compression. :)

13. Mvilmany

Mvilmany

I agree with this. The Envelope Filter is basically an auto Wah. I found that I always put Wah before dirt on guitar, and I put envelope before dirt on bass as well. Reversing it produces a different type of sound and I respect anyone's choice to do that.

14. BooshBass

BooshBass Supporting Member

I have oct > env > fuzz > wah > od. Get that synthy sweep with fuzz before wah and airy envelopy distortion with od after wah

The best of both worlds

15. Mjinsk

Mjinsk

I like having envelope filters and pitch effects such as octavers first. The tracking is better IMO. The dirt part comes after.

16. eveilleu

eveilleu Supporting Member

Hi,
    I think Fuzz into an envelope is awesome! I Like to put it at the very end, with octave being the very first (tuner doesn't count) and dirt in between, but that's just me! :p

Eric

17. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Although for most purposes, yes, envelope first, you CAN get cool, synthy type sounds by putting distortion in front. Bootsy famously ran his big muff into his Mutron. Just a different thing.

Mild overdrive in front can compress your peaks and actually make the envelope filter respond more consistently.

18. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I like dirt before filters/wahs. If I had your pedals I would go Muff>distortion>filter>chorus. I don't know where I'd put the boost. Either first or last or after the distortion.

19. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I just went into the garage and ran env-Dist-chorus-muff-boost. Just having Dist and chorus running was the best sound I've heard in a while. A little tube like into a good well set chorus was gorgeous. I turned the tone on the distortion up a little and boosted the bass on the amp. I am excited to hear it in the mix with my band. The muff sounded very nice there, btw, at the end of the chain. (Boost stayed off for now)