Thoughts - worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jeffbrown, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

Saw this in my local CL:

For Sale: A Vintage 1970's Acoustic Control Co., 406 "Wide" model 2x15 bass cabinet, loaded with JBL E-140 speakers. This is one of the best sounding, loudest 2x15 bass cabinets you'll ever hear! Loaded with two JBL, 8 ohm E-140 speakers (4 ohm load total) for an awesome tone. Cabinet has wheels and handles on back and tilts back like a dolly for ease of transportation. Grab this classic awesome sounding cabinet before it's gone!

The tolex is pretty beat, but all the hardware is there. Besides the obvious sales hype :smug: is it worth that or how much less? IIRC, those aren't the original speakers, are they? Of course I'd play through it before paying....

I have enough cabinetry for now, so I'm thinking maybe a coat or two of Duratech and flip it.

What would YOU do?

TIA

2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would let it be someone else's project. Could end up being a lot of head ache for you, and for not a big (any) profit.

3. gbazinet

gbazinet Supporting Member

I saw that too! Not sure what it is worth but 400 seems a bit high to me. Bring an old tube head and some cash and play the amp. If it sounds good make an offer!

4. gbazinet

gbazinet Supporting Member

Also, removing the tolex would likely take value away from the amp and make it harder to flip.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

Yeah, prolly so. My thinking is/was/has been that appearance - to me, anyway - is secondary to function, "vintage" gear notwithstanding. That said, I do know that does NOT hold for alot of other folks, thus the thought about the refinishing. I redid my Ampeg 6x10 with Duratech. It sounds great AND looks good to boot.

If it's still up this w/e, I may check it out. Anybody else?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've seen an Ampeg cab with Duratex, and it looks pretty good. Depending on the price, it might be worth it just to score the JBL's at the very least.

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

Those speakers in good shape go for about $100 each. Then you've got the cab, in whatever shape its in...Doesn't SEEM like a 400$ deal.

9. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

If those JBLs have after-market recone kits, they aren't worth squat, certainly not $100 each.

I'd pass on that deal.

10. bottomend!

bottomend!

I own and use a ton of Acoustic gear. This is a decent deal for what you're getting. The cab looks road worn... big deal! Find a cool vintage Acoustic head to go with it and you'll be in sonic heaven ( your back may be in some version of hell though because this old stuff isn't like all the new lightweight stuff)!

11. Mosfed

Mosfed The mighty mighty Supporting Member

I love the JBLs. It would be worth it to me for those alone. Reconed or not they are really tough to find.

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

E140 were original drivers. I have a locally made copy of the slim version. It rocks pretty damn good as a mic'd big stage monitor.

It seems you wouldn't stand to make anything on doing that one up so Stumbo's advice works.

13. jeffbrown

jeffbrown

Bumping it up...

Its back. For less. Question for the much-more-knowledgeable-than-me: how much power can one of these handle? I've searched a bit and discovered that the E140s will (singularly) handle 400w continuous program and 200w continuous sine wave. With 2 in the cab, what does this mean in real-world application? The cab is rated for 4ohms....

Would I kill it quickly with an amp rated at 350w? Sorry if the math is obvious to most. It has never been my strength. :bag:

TIA

14. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

No it will take some "crankin" to blow it.

15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mind how much low bass, but yeah mine gets plenty loud for pub rock.