1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Threaded insert for attaching ramp?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

I have a Stambaugh fretless with a large ramp - Gary Willis style. This ramp, like most, is attached with double-sided tape. I'm using the stuff I've seen recommended before - the 3M clear double-sided poster things - but they're too thick and wiggle around too much.

The GWB basses are attached with hex head screws going into a threaded insert in the body. Are there any drawbacks to having someone put four threaded inserts into the body (besides visually, I don't really care about that.)
  2. Bobster

Bobster

I wouldn't think it's a problem Jason.

I've seen a several people put threaded inserts in the screw holes for Jazz Bass control plates.

All the best,

Bob
  3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Threaded inserts are fine and would work well, but to hold a ramp, they're a bit of overkill. OTOH, if you install them really neatly, if you remove the ramp they'll look more finished than screw holes in the body.
  4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

How often do you plan to remove the ramp? Seems like a lot of work if you don't plan on removing it. I'd just use wood screws and counter sink the holes so that the heads were flush or under the surface.
  5. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

I'm thinking of making this mod to my GWB-1.