1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Three finger rolls

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Metaldood19, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

I've noticed quite a few bassists roll ring, middle, index. I've always rolled index, middle, ring. Thoughts? Am I doing it backwards? I ask only because while watching one of my favorite bassits (), he prominently uses it in the breakdown around :30.

2. ma4rk

ma4rk

I don't think there is a correct way of doing it - starting with the ring finger works for me.

3. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 EBMM Nut Supporting Member

There's a video of Billy Sheehan saying that the reason he does it ring middle index is because you naturally already do it that way. Like when you tap your fingers on a desk.

I'm sure your technique is fine though...try both and see which feels better.

4. Metaldood19

Metaldood19

I've tried both, IMR definitely feels a lot more natural. I set up a metronome right now and tried both, I was definitely more solid doing IMR then RMI. Just making sure im not practicing and reinforcing bad technique (I've been doing it this way for about 3 years)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nysbob

nysbob

There is enough anecdotal evidence that different players prefer different directions to indicate that it doesn't really matter much which way you go as long as you are in complete control of it. If you can play exactly what you want to in time, you win.