1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Three Pickup Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by staybobo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. staybobo

staybobo

What is your favorite three pickup bass you have played or made?

2. DannyBob

DannyBob

The only and so best 3 pickup bass I have used was a 'Frankenbird' thunderbird with a jazz pickup placed about an inch off the neck. It was certainly different

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Favorite I made?
    When I was young, foolish, had long hair, and wore spandex....I butchered a 1967 sunburst P bass(originally from the band in Tulane Stadium at Saints early games) by putting a Gibson mudbucker at the neck(pre-Sheehan, early 1970's) and a Ric pickup near the bridge AND a pound or 2 of lead under the bridge. Sustain forever and could sound like anything but weighed a ton.

Favorite played? Greco Les Paul basses with 3 Greco T-Bird pickups in them and a Bada$$ bridge(from the factory). The necks are thin and very fast and require lighter tension strings. These were strung with Roto 40-60-80-100's but I had to seriously work the trussrod to make them playable. Now they get 40-60-80-95's(Alice) that are less tension than Rotos. There are more than a few here because I like them so much. Can't get to photobucket(still at work) but pics are below from my work PC. They made about 5 or 6 different colors/schemes and I added FretsOnTheNet pickup rings.

Attached Files:

4. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Godin Shifter. Awesome bass.