Three Pickup Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by staybobo, Dec 6, 2013.

1. staybobo

Oct 6, 2012
    What is your favorite three pickup bass you have played or made?
  2. DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
    The only and so best 3 pickup bass I have used was a 'Frankenbird' thunderbird with a jazz pickup placed about an inch off the neck. It was certainly different
  3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Favorite I made?
    When I was young, foolish, had long hair, and wore spandex....I butchered a 1967 sunburst P bass(originally from the band in Tulane Stadium at Saints early games) by putting a Gibson mudbucker at the neck(pre-Sheehan, early 1970's) and a Ric pickup near the bridge AND a pound or 2 of lead under the bridge. Sustain forever and could sound like anything but weighed a ton.

Favorite played? Greco Les Paul basses with 3 Greco T-Bird pickups in them and a Bada$$ bridge(from the factory). The necks are thin and very fast and require lighter tension strings. These were strung with Roto 40-60-80-100's but I had to seriously work the trussrod to make them playable. Now they get 40-60-80-95's(Alice) that are less tension than Rotos. There are more than a few here because I like them so much. Can't get to photobucket(still at work) but pics are below from my work PC. They made about 5 or 6 different colors/schemes and I added FretsOnTheNet pickup rings.

Attached Files:

4. smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Godin Shifter. Awesome bass.