Throw away warped bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skip_NJ, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Skip_NJ

Skip_NJ Supporting Member

I was just searching for info on setting up a Cort Curbow bass and came accross this thead: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/cort-curbow-setup-question-542503/ , unfortunately I believe the body on mine has warped. Looking at the neck without checking it with a feeler, the relief looks fine and it doesn't appear to be twisted or warped. The fretboard is still attached and the glue seams are still together. My G and D strings are high off the fretboard though, and like the OP in the linked thread, my saddles are bottomed out. When I look at the body from the side it does look kind of bowed. This bass has been sitting in the corner of my old bedroom for like 10 years. All the electronics work fine and the hardware is in good condition. Even the strings are still bright (DR SS I believe). What should I do with this bass? I'm thinking about just taking out the electronics and hardware, and trashing the body. Would anyone do something different? Is luthite recyclable?
  2. hover

hover

If that body is a luthite body, it's toast.

If it's wood, it still would require significant re-working to be serviceable, if it is indeed warped.

What a good opportunity to commission one of our fine builders here to make you a replacement body!
  3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

4. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

parrts are good for something.
  7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Yeah, just get a new body fitted to it.
  8. Skip_NJ

quick cell pics
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes its a luthite body. Its not unplayable, but the setup is never going to get anywhere near normal again. Its got some chips and wear and tear on the body, courtesy of someone knocking it over onto a tile floor in highschool jazz band years ago. It wouldn't even make good wall art, unless its in an ironic way, symbolic of our age of rampant consumerism and myopia.
  9. mongo2

mongo2

GSP Exit 98 here...Can the neck pocket be shimmed to get the fingerboard closer to the strings?
  10. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

fretless project?
  11. BurningSkies

BurningSkies Supporting Member

That's what I would have suggested. It might depend on how evenly the body has warped, but I'd try to shim the neck (that's what you'd do with a neck problem) and see if it gives you enough play to lower the strings and even things out. You might even be able to make an angled/asymmetrical shim to balance that out.
  12. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

GC would probably take it
  13. bobm2112

bobm2112 Supporting Member

Exit 74 here!! Much Jersey love :hyper:
  14. Skip_NJ

I actually have a fretless project bass, completed. The fret board on the Curbow is ebanol, which feels like a soft plastic or vinyl to me, and filling where the frets used to be would probably require some kind of resin.

I didn't intend for this to turn into a sale thread, but if someone wants a project, I'll make a thread in the classifieds forum to keep everything within the rules. Exit 105 here. A shim could probably be done, but the neck pocket is large and an odd shape, and an off the shelf shim probably wouldn't work.
  15. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Cardboard, or even layers of making tape makes an effective, cheap and easy shim. You've got nothing to lose in playing with that before dumping it.
  16. mongo2

mongo2

My shims have been as simple as layers of masking tape. I've made several Dano/Silvertone basses much more playable by using several layers of blue painters tape in the neck pocket until the fingerboard was well within the very coarse adjustment range of the bridge.
  17. mapleglo

mapleglo Supporting Member

In all my years, I have never seen an instrument body warp like that. Do you know if it was exposed to anything unusual like extreme heat or cold, chemicals, etc?
  18. BioWeapon

BioWeapon

That's a scary warp! How does that even happen?
    Luthite is synthetic and shape-able, so you could try using a heat source of some sort as a very last resort to get it flattened out.
  19. lz4005

lz4005

Happened to a lot of those luthite body Corts, when left in a hot car.
  20. hover

hover

To me that is just inexcusable, for the money being charged.
  21. wideload

wideload

Just an idiot here...
    If the bridge saddles are bottomed out, could you notch them to lower the strings in question? Or am I looking at the problem from the wrong end (it's happened before!)?