Thru-Body Strings for E-A-D-G-C Setup?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by JazznFunk, Mar 10, 2013.

1. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I'm pondering stringing one of my 5-ers with this setup like I used to do in college for a higher soloing range and use in chording, but I can't seem to find a set of strings in a relatively light gauge that will allow me to do this thru-body on my Lakland (35" scale). Are there any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

I realize I'll probably have to 'cannibalize' the top 5 strings from a 6-string set to do this... willing to accept the consequences. :cool:
  2. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

www.bassstringsonline.com sells singles, so you can build any set you want.

You'll need a relatively longer string to go string through on your Lakland, something wound to 38" is ideal, I use a custom set of D'Addario Super Long XL's from Bass Strings Online. Other strings that are long enough and available as custom sets would be DR and Ken Smith. He may have more, send him an email and see. He's also a member here, and you'll get a TB user discount!

Another option is just buying a 4 string set and adding the single C string. That may open you up to more string options since the C string is not tapered at the tuner end so it doesn't really matter how long it is.

Here's a direct link to the singles:
    http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Single-Strings_c_53.html
  3. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Buy a super long scale 4 string set and add a single High-C as mmbongo pointed out.

That is the best thing to do and easiest thing to do.
  4. JazznFunk

JazznFunk

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses Artist
    Thanks guys... I am pleased to see I can do a custom set with GHS still. That rocks.
  5. Register to disable this ad