1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thumb or Ricky?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Felix Riley, Dec 7, 2013.

?

warwick Thumb or Ricky?

1. warwick Thumb NT

16 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Rickenbacker 4003

41 vote(s)
    71.9%
  1. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

Hello, I have about 2000 bucks to spare and i am trying to choose between these two basses. I am looking for a greasy, Claypool like growl with chancellor-like clarity. Which bass is better for that sort of thing? Help me out here :help:
  2. grendle

grendle Supporting Member

Neither of those. A stingray would do that better.
  3. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

Play the Rickenbacker first. If you love it, it's for you. If you don't, give it another shot down the line. Some people like them, some don't. I love mine.
  4. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

I would buy a Stingray, but they are just too honky for me, and play too much like a Jazz Bass
  5. Bass Fund

Bass Fund

Out of the two, I'd pick the Rick. I can't recommend anyone buying a bass with a bubinga/wenge neck. I can't deal with that crackle noise that happens around the first couple of frets.

You might be able to find a used U.S. Spector NS with that two grand. There was a blue one on the bay for exactly that amount last month, in pretty good shape too. The U.S. Spector's are especially nice, mainly because of the two chunks of non-laminate maple they use for body wings. Good luck.
  6. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

Couldn't give me a Stingray. I love my 4001 but I doubt if it is the bass for the application you have described. The Thumb may be close, but I think with $2000 you could get a Streamer Stage II, a Pedulla or possibly come close to a used Carl Thompson, which would fit your situation much better IMO.
  7. David Hayes

David Hayes Guest

I forgot about the Spector. That would also be right up on my list.
  8. godley69

godley69

Are you looking for a 4 string or a 5 string?
  9. frankieC

frankieC Supporting Member

I'm a little prejudice, here.
  10. gricko

gricko

i have both.
    if you have never played a rickenbacker, see post #3.

my experience: i use same strings on both. and an amp that is colouring the sound [ampegv4b]. taken that in account and a premise that rickenbacker has tone controls wide open and thumb set on noon - difference is extremely small. the only difference is in volume w/ thumb being active and outputting stronger signal.
    also - thumb is more versatile having active tone controls.
  11. Jools4001

Jools4001

Since you're more likely to find your local bar is selling moonshine distilled from unicorn tears than you are to find a 5 String Rick, i'm guessing 4 string.

Although rare, or converted by enthusiasts, 5 string Ricks do exist, but none with any sensible string spacing as far as I'm concerned.
  12. JackBruceFan

JackBruceFan

Rickenbacker or Fender P is the way to fly. Good Luck.
  13. Gasman

Gasman Supporting Member

For the tone you are describing, I'd probably go with the Thumb. I have never owned one, but it will get you closer than the Rick, which I do own. And, as has been stated already, Rics are not for everyone. Ergonomically a bit more challenging, but in fairness I've heard the Thumb can have some neck dive.
  14. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

The one you like best after trying both out for yourself. If you can try only one and like it, then that one. Unless you frequently have $2000 just laying around and don't mind gambling it on the opinions of a bunch of strangers, based on their interpretation of your written description of the sound you like.
  15. Gbass75

Gbass75 Supporting Member

Amen, brother!
  16. Felix Riley

Felix Riley

Thank all of you for your kind remarks!
  17. 12stringbassist

12stringbassist

I have both, but would plump for the Ric.
    But that's just me... The Wick has a lot of really clicky treble. Awkward controls.

[​IMG]
  18. dreads311

dreads311

There's not a lot the Thumb can't do. Extremely versatile bass. And that's how I'll spend my 2 cents.
  19. drews.anderson

drews.anderson

Really love my Thumb. Always tried and wanted to love a Rick, but never could... post #3 says it all.
  20. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

Play em both. If you still can't decide, you might consider that you would probably have to go used on the Wick, to get under $2000, anyway... You might be able to get em both, with that budget, if you went with used, and you went with a bolt-on, on the Wick?