1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thumb Plucking Technique

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by jayk, Dec 22, 2013.

1. jayk

jayk

Hi Janek
    I notice you often switch between finger style plucking and thumb plucking (using your thumb to pluck the lower notes and fingers for the higher notes) throughout your playing.
    What helps you decide on which technique to use for a certain bassline and what are the benefits of each technique?
    Do you have any exercises that can help develop a quick transition between these techniques and developing the thumb technique further??

Thanks

Jake
  2. janekbass

janekbass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Founder and CEO of http://videobasslessons.tv
    Jake,

The two main right hand techniques I use are simply options of sound and tone for me. Although i've worked a lot on the "regular" style of finger playing as well as the thumb and finger technique you're asking about, the choice of when to use them is not something that's conscious now.

The muted thumb technique gives me more of a punchy tone, and I end up playing some higher notes with my fingers within the bass line, and that lends itself to being a little more melodic in the line.

I have a ton of exercises for that, and put them all together for a 12 week bass lines and groove course on videobasslessons.tv. There are some free preview videos on my youtube channel if you have a second to check them out. I take a look a bunch of different bass styles starting with video #1 here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x83qXXLWjak

Janek