1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thumb Rest for Non-Fenders

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by alexlocurto, Dec 29, 2012.

1. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Has anybody done this before? I'm thinking about doing it with my MTD, simply because I think it makes playing so much easier. Anyone else?

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

A G&L 2000 HOG (1981).

My only regret is selling the bass for $275 in 1986.

3. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

Ouch! I feel for you, man, I really do....

4. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

I've installed one of several non-Fender basses. If possible, I'll install it in conjunction with pick guard hole(s) so as to not modify the bass. :cool:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

I find this topic kind of weird. It's your bass, do what you want to make it right for you. Yes I have seen many other brands here on TB with rests on them. Go for it. :)

7. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I ask because the templates that come with the rest are for Fender basses. Plus, I've never seen it. I'm just wondering. :)

8. bassclef112

bassclef112

I put one on my Sterling and it really opened up the tonal palette with finger placement. I need a rest and the only spot for me was at the pickup, which provided a "one trick pony" location. Now I play this bass much more often because of the increased flexibility. Adding the thumb rest was all it took.

Attached Files:

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Try test locations with tape or two-sided foam adhesive, then go for it.

10. shwashwa

shwashwa

how did you mount that and what is it made of?

11. bassclef112

bassclef112

I drew that up and my tech (who is a magician) hooked it up for me.

I wanted something that maintained the pickup height which worked out to be about 1/4". So he took a piece of 1/4" by 1/4" plexiglass (it happens to be clear), cut to length and put it in with 3 thin wood screws (pre-drilling of course to prevent cracking). I would've been happy right there.

This was the magic - he took a very thin strip of black plastic, shaped it to fit exactly and glued it on with some contact cement so that if I ever decided to remove it I wouldn't have to destroy anything. Now it's the stealth rest, barely visible at all.

He does really nice work!:D

12. shwashwa

shwashwa

so its screwed into the bass?

13. Woofer

Woofer

I think he means he glued the black plastic over the clear plexi piece, which is screwed into the bass.

Why wouldn't your tech just contact cement the plexi piece to the pickguard, and avoid making holes? Seems like he took a roundabout way of doing things to me.

14. shwashwa

shwashwa

you just inspired me to make my own out of hardwood, and i didnt even have to use screws!!
    for my tonal goals it seems that place right between the pickups is perfect for my thumb. i actually pluck over the bridge pu. if i rest thumb on the bridge pu i pluck right at the bridge, no good...

Attached Files:

15. bassclef112

bassclef112

That description is correct. I would've been satisfied as it was but his putting the plastic cover on it was a nice cosmetic touch to hide the screws.

I play...vigorously. I wanted something mounted in a way that I didn't have to worry about coming off when I least expected it, so that's what I directed him to do. As it is I won't remove it unless I decide to change the pickguard for cosmetics and then I'll put it on again. It has really made a huge positive difference for me.

This bass is one of my "desert island" basses. The holes were not an issue for me since I'll never flip it.

Hey shwashwa - see how easy that was? You could use double stick tape to hold it against the sides of the pickups (if you decide to go with something other than a pencil).

16. shwashwa

shwashwa

you mean hardwood

17. bass4u

bass4u Supporting Member

I put a thumbrest on my Stingray 4. I used a Fender thumbrest and attached it to the pickguard with 3M two way adhesive tape. Has been on for 10 years and hasn't moved.