1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thumb Rests!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ilmārs Priede, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Ilmārs Priede

Ilmārs Priede

Hello! I've gotten used to having my thumb on the chunky pickup which actually had a slot for it (on my Yamaha RBX-375), but recently I got a new bass, and i doesnt have nearly as much place on the pickup as the old one did.

Question is - are there any pickups that may be installed on a Fender Aerodyne Jazzbass without having to drill new holes in to the body. For example that would use the existing holes for the picguard? Are there any other options for installing a thumbrest?

2. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

3. Polfuste

Polfuste

take a piece of wood, make one with your design and specs,and glue it on you bass with double-side adhesive tape. no damage to the bass, removable. i will post a link later..

4. unclebass

unclebass

I make my own thumb rests out of small scrap pieces of wood. I have installed two, both using existing screw holes on pickguards, and double sided tape to help keep it from shifting around. Make one the size and shape you want, paint it or finish it how you want, then use double sided tape and put it where you want. You could go to your local paint and body shop, they keep double sided tape to reinstall moldings on vehicles. Surely they would be able to spare a small piece of tape to help you out. If it can hold moldings on a car for over 10 years, surely it can keep a thumb rest on your bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfox14

pfox14

Tape will never hold up. Have to screw it in.

7. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Disclosures:
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Most advanced bassists use the floating thumb technique. Their hand is free to move around on the plucking area to achieve different tones. My suggestion is to try to learn to play without being confined to a thumb rest. Also, no need to drill holes in the bass.
    Rocky

8. Polfuste

Polfuste

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I think that's going to depend on how hard one tends to push down on one's thumbrest while playing. While it's probably much smarter to simply "rest" the thumb there, I know I exert a bit of downward pressure. Not much, but enough to require screws, I would bet.

10. Geri O

Geri O

When I used thumb rests, I would get the plastic black ones and use a table sander to lower the profile. It's inexpensive and easy enough to do.

However, when I began to experience right hand cramps lately, my research turned up the movable anchor and the floating thumb techniques. It took a couple of weeks of practice, but once I was comfortable with the movable anchor technique, my hand stopped cramping and I seem to have better control of my right hand plucking technique without the thumb rest. Since my wrist rests lightly on the upper area of the bass, I don't even need the thumb rest when I'm playing the B string (or E, in case of my 4-string Alembic). It does seem that the pressure I was using on the thumb rest (which you alluded to when discussing glue vs screws) was part of the cramping problem.

So it's definitely worth consideration for changing your right-hand technique to do away with the thumb rest. Of course, we're all different and have different techniques and needs to accommodate those techniques, so I"m certainly not going to admonish you or think badly of you if you can't see the alternate thumb techniques being useful to you. I just feel the need to present my case for the physical hand and arm reasons. And I"m living proof, as apparently sooooo many of us here :D seem to be, that these issues are more prevalent with age.

Good luck

11. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

I tend to apply a lot of pressure with my anchored thumb when I play gigs, and my homemade ramp (which I attached to my bass with heavy-duty double-sided tape) hasn't moved a single bit.