Thumb Sticking/dragging on neck

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Already In Use, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Already In Use

Already In Use

Been playing a lot over the past couple of months...in music heaven! My hands become a bit sweaty after a couple of hours. The issue...the thumb on my fretting hand begins to stick a bit to the neck causing un welcomed flex and strain and the hand/thumb joint. Was wondering if anybody has had this happen and what you implemented as a fix. I carry a small towel to wipe down my hands with and have tried using baby powder on my thumb...was going to try that chalk pool players use on their hands. This is happening on basses with gloss finishes and dull finishes like the Fender Jazz. Thanks...Peace:bassist:

BTW...using Smiths Pro Polish to treat my basses including the necks.

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Improper technique. Only the pad of your thumb should touch the neck.

3. Already In Use

Already In Use

I got that...that's what is sort of getting stuck..

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Maybe sand a little of the callous off your thumb pad and or use a lighter touch?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msaone

msaone

My guitar player uses a rag with vasoline on it to wipe the strings. Says it makes him faster

7. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Man, I guarantee you don't want that crap all over your neck. You will NEVER get it off.

8. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Try silicone polish, or a fingerboard oil. Some guitar cleaners such as Jim Dunlop Guitar cleaner and polish,

http://www.guitar.co.uk/accessories/maintenance/456_dunlop_formula_65_guitar_polish_and_cleaner

will keep the neck clean and leaves a small residue that protects the guitar. This is helpfull as are the other products, because when water comes in contact with oil or silicone it becomes slippy, it also makes wiping of sweat stains and dirt much easier as well as protecting the finish. Small amounts go a long way and are hand and guitar friendly.

9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Do NOT put anything with silicone in it on your neck. Quite literally you will never ever get it off.

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

I use it and it comes off as easy as it goes on, never had a problem with it ever. Silicone polish is fantastic on the back of a neck.

11. Already In Use

Already In Use

Silicone?? I'll give that a try..I was using a carnuba wax which sort of came off in sticky pieces after a bit...then went to the Smith polish..which leaves a slick neck at first..then in becomes tacky...the lighter touch is something I can also work on..I have to keep my hands dry! I use Finger Ease to clean my strings BTW..Thanks man!

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Finger Ease has silicone.

13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Well you think it does. Google it man, I ain't pulling this stuff outta my ***.

14. fearceol

fearceol

If all the advice given so far fails, then you might like to try this novel idea.

If it's just the thumb that is the problem, try cutting a small strip of first aid fabric plaster (the type used for covering cuts, scratches etc), and wrap it around the thumb. The fabric should prevent any sticking.

*Patent pending* :D

15. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

WalMart silicone spray - big can for about $5. I spray my strings, cuts down on string squeal, see if that helps.

Good luck.

16. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Good old talcum powder will work a treat.

17. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

I've lightly buffed a sticky poly neck with 0000 steel wool. Gives it more of matte finish.

Just gotta be careful to buff it evenly, the whole length of the neck.

18. Already In Use

Already In Use

To clarify...My problem is with the thumb on the fretting hand...getting sweaty and becoming sticky on the back of the neck. Just read the Finger Ease can...doh! Directions for the back of the neck right on the can...I love this place! Thanks all...Peace.

19. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist Gold Supporting Member

20. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Used silicone based products for over 43 years.....exactly how long before I " think is doesn't ? " :)

21. Already In Use

Already In Use

I sprayed Finger Ease on one of my basses...so far so good practicing...I'll know more tomorrow after a multi hour rehearsal.