1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Thumb Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Savaaris, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Savaaris

Savaaris

Mar 1, 2013
    Are there any other thumb techniques other than "floating thumb"? Im just curious if there is could you pleast describe?

2. Sponsored by:

3. I use a floating thumb with a combination of thumb plucking. I bend my thumb at the second knuckle (closest to the tip) to pluck, and I keep that knuckle over the lower pitched string to mute it.

4. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    There is what's known as the "Moveable Anchor" where the thumb rests two strings above the one being plucked.

5. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Not what you are looking for, but, I use my thumb instead of a pick or fingers, i.e. I sound the strings with my thumb.

Came over from rhythm guitar and used a pick for awhile, did not like the sound the pick gave so just started using my thumb.

Flats, some sponge rubber at the bridge and palm mute do what I need. BTW I get a double bass sound with this setup, which I like. Check this out. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/foam-rubber-mutes-398011/

6. I use a movable anchor but for the distance of 1 string rather than 2, I'd say just go for what's most comfy,