1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thumb Technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Savaaris, Apr 6, 2014.

1. Savaaris

Savaaris

Are there any other thumb techniques other than "floating thumb"? Im just curious if there is could you pleast describe?

2. Matthew_84

Matthew_84

I use a floating thumb with a combination of thumb plucking. I bend my thumb at the second knuckle (closest to the tip) to pluck, and I keep that knuckle over the lower pitched string to mute it.

3. fearceol

fearceol Supporting Member

There is what's known as the "Moveable Anchor" where the thumb rests two strings above the one being plucked.

4. MalcolmAmos

MalcolmAmos Supporting Member

Not what you are looking for, but, I use my thumb instead of a pick or fingers, i.e. I sound the strings with my thumb.

Came over from rhythm guitar and used a pick for awhile, did not like the sound the pick gave so just started using my thumb.

Flats, some sponge rubber at the bridge and palm mute do what I need. BTW I get a double bass sound with this setup, which I like. Check this out. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/foam-rubber-mutes-398011/

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dougie1316

Dougie1316

I use a movable anchor but for the distance of 1 string rather than 2, I'd say just go for what's most comfy,