Thumbrest for Godin Acoustibass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by codymulcahy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. codymulcahy

codymulcahy

I recently came across one of these at my local pawn shop, but it's missing the thumbrest. Does anyone know anyone that would carry the part or where I could order online? Thanks!
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

You could use any thumbrest and double sided tape.
  3. codymulcahy

codymulcahy

Well, it's much larger than all the ones I've come across and covers most of the area, which I would prefer to stick with. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like... http://www.ninestonering.com/craig/godinab/ab-bodyfront.jpg
  4. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Oooh. That I don't know. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in with the correct answer. I'd like one of those to put on my acoustic so I'm subscribing.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

There is a guy who makes custom thumbrests I course I can't remember his name but I would imagine one could be made to match the original one I'm curious about those basses does it sound good?
  7. lz4005

lz4005

If the bass is older than about 5 years or so it wouldn't have come from the factory with a thumb rest.

Since it's a full acoustic top you can't screw a thumb rest into it like you would with a solid body. I added one to mine that's just a piece of wood held on with tape. Works well, but I have to re-tape it once a year or so.

As for how they sound, mine's an older non-midi fretless 4 and it sounds great. I have light flats on it and with a combination of onboard EQ and right hand postition it can go from Jaco-ish to sounding like an upright. It's a great bass. One of my favorites, for jazz and acoustic music.

The only minor down-side is that it has very high output. If you don't have an input pad on your amp you'd have to run the bass at under 50% volume.
  8. HolmesBass

HolmesBass

A friend of mine used a chopstick w/double-sided tape.
  9. MD

MD

In the photo, it looks like it's just a piece of half round with a shaved, or flattened top, more than likely something you can pock up at Home Depot or a hobby shop. There are screws holding it on, but maybe they've blocked that area of the top.
    Can you order the part from Godin?
  10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

Is the top maple or cedar?
    Godin opted not to put one on the cedar tops, they are thinner than maple.
    the original rests were longer than standard ones you can buy.