1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thumbrest for Godin Acoustibass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by codymulcahy, Dec 2, 2013.

1. codymulcahy

codymulcahy

I recently came across one of these at my local pawn shop, but it's missing the thumbrest. Does anyone know anyone that would carry the part or where I could order online? Thanks!
  2. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

You could use any thumbrest and double sided tape.
  3. codymulcahy

codymulcahy

Well, it's much larger than all the ones I've come across and covers most of the area, which I would prefer to stick with. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like... http://www.ninestonering.com/craig/godinab/ab-bodyfront.jpg
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

Oooh. That I don't know. I'm sure someone more knowledgable will chime in with the correct answer. I'd like one of those to put on my acoustic so I'm subscribing.
  5. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

There is a guy who makes custom thumbrests I course I can't remember his name but I would imagine one could be made to match the original one I'm curious about those basses does it sound good?
  6. lz4005

lz4005

If the bass is older than about 5 years or so it wouldn't have come from the factory with a thumb rest.

Since it's a full acoustic top you can't screw a thumb rest into it like you would with a solid body. I added one to mine that's just a piece of wood held on with tape. Works well, but I have to re-tape it once a year or so.

As for how they sound, mine's an older non-midi fretless 4 and it sounds great. I have light flats on it and with a combination of onboard EQ and right hand postition it can go from Jaco-ish to sounding like an upright. It's a great bass. One of my favorites, for jazz and acoustic music.

The only minor down-side is that it has very high output. If you don't have an input pad on your amp you'd have to run the bass at under 50% volume.