Thumbs and shoulders

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound

I've had three Thumbs - an '03 BO 6, a '93 NT 6, and I forget what year walnut 5. Fabulous instruments. However, I started having some shoulder trouble, probably from something not bass-related, and I found that the Thumbs really exacerbated it. I would go to church on Sunday, rehearse for an hour, play through the service, and my left shoulder would hurt for days. I finally figured out that it was the "reach" down to the low notes that was doing it, along with the neck dive. I finally sold them off, and since then I've been playing basses with a longer upper horn, and my shoulder seems to have healed. It took many months to loosen up, but now I have no pain from playing.

I love everything about the Thumb, except the pain.

Anyone else have physical problems associated with one style of bass?

2. Bebo

Bebo

I love Warwicks; they sound terrific and are wonderfully beautiful. But they are so heavy that they consistently hurt my lower back. I stopped using them years ago. I have had 9 of them. Not anymore! Chambered Sadowskys all the way now...

3. ole Jason

ole Jason

Did you ever try a Corvette? Mine is light as a feather and the longer upper horn makes it easy to play longer standing up. Obviously the vette is a different sound than the Thumb but kind of the same general tonal idea.

4. Flatwound

Flatwound

I've had three Corvettes; a Proline 4, a $$ 4, and a $$ 5. I think I'd prefer a Standard Ash over the others. I'll have to try one if I can find one. The Proline was pretty nice. The tone of the $$'s left me wanting a bit.

5. Register to disable this ad