thump on power off B100R

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by mtlbasslad, Mar 22, 2014.

1. mtlbasslad

mtlbasslad Supporting Member

Hi all, any techies out there that could suggest how to get rid of the annoying 'thump' when powering off my B100R?

Have to say that otherwise I'm loving it as a replacement for the stolen B15N (arrgh)

I should mention that I can read a schematic (mostly lol) & have a good relationship with my soldering iron...

Surely I'm not the only one annoyed by this?

Thanks in advance :help:
  2. lowend1

lowend1

No worries. They all do it, Ampeg sez it's normal, and most of us B100R owners have asked the same question at one time or another. I made my phone call to SLM the day after I bought my first one when they initially came out.
  3. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Mine has always done that. It doesn't bother me because the amp sounds so amazing.

It's just the amps way of saying "Good night."
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, it's just capacitors discharging once you shut it off. Sometimes they make a noise. No big whoop...a lot of amps do that.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

My B100R (US-built) has always popped. From what I've been told by Ampeg, "They all do that." I know that the sound wasn't going to hurt the amp, but it bugged me nonetheless.

My solution was to have Nashville Amplifier Service install a timed relay in the amplifier. It opens the speaker circuit as soon as the power is cut, before the pop hits. It works beautifully.
  7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

All the Ampeg combos I've ever had do it, and they don't even do it every time. But they will never completely stop doing it, so relax.
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it.
  9. PolkaHero

PolkaHero

Touche' for mine!
  10. bccbass

bccbass

My two that I had both did that as well.
  11. anderbass

anderbass

I seem to recall someone claiming they're B100R stopped thumping (at power down) when they're LED bulb burned out....
  12. mtlbasslad

mtlbasslad Supporting Member

Thanks to all who responded - I know it's not dangerous, just annoying :(

But Charley nailed it - I had that relay thing in my old Dynaco HIFI rig... guess I was just blue-skying thinking that someone would give me a 'just put an 100mfd cap between there & here' solution...

Anyway, the B100R sounds so good I almost don't miss my '65 B15N that got ripped off last year :crying:

Ampeg rules!