1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Thumpinator & low A !?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sifi2112, Feb 18, 2014.

1. sifi2112

sifi2112

Has anyone used a thumpinator with a 5 string in drop A ? A being 27.5 Hz & thumpinator cut-off at 30 Hz ... my cab is a PJB 9B btw.

Does it (work) matter as I keep hearing about the 'fundamental' not really being heard anyway .. ?
  2. icecycle66

icecycle66

I've used the Thump with Drop A and lower (just screwing around) and with various octave pedals and ultra low end EQ (Meat Box) and it works fine.

The Thumpinator doesn't kill any of the distinguishable sounds air vibration feeling you would have without the Thumpinator in line.
  3. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

+1 Just in case you need convincing (OP) I have also tried this and have had no problems whatsoever. ;)
  4. bassofthe

bassofthe

Not a problem. You don't need the fundamental when going that low anyway. I use a Thumpinator and tune to F#.

According to their website, the 9B only goes down to 35 Hz. You're not reproducing those frequencies anyway.
  5. sifi2112

sifi2112

So basically it doesn't matter about tuning lower but has anyone noticed a perceivable diff in volume between the notes played above the cut off & the notes below ?

Also my amp only produces 200w at 8 Ohms so hoping to achieve a bit more efficiency along with some speaker protection ... thanks for the replies guys
  6. bassofthe

bassofthe

Nope, no difference to my ears.

That's exactly what the Thumpinator is for.
  7. sifi2112

sifi2112

Does anyone have an efficient cab that produces these low freqs & is there still no perceivable diff ? I asked PIB & if I added another cab it could go down this low .... would it then make a diff on thumpinator?
  8. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    I just ordered a Thumpinator. Can't wait to not destroy speakers and lesser PA's.

John
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

PA's are highpassed much higher, even very good ones.
  10. sifi2112

sifi2112

I emailed Tech21 to ask if the Landmark 300 had a HPF & they were kind enough (again) to reply ... They said 'yes' and ...

'HPF set at 50Hz with a very gradual filter, about 3dB per octave'

So will I still benefit with the thumpinator at all ?

Not sure what the tuning freq is of the PJB 9B or how much that matters but I do notice quite a lot of cone movement when cranked ... maybe this is normal for these drivers ...?

Just trying to optimize my rig as much as possible so any more thoughts, opinions, experience most welcome & thanks again for taking the time to read/comment :)
  11. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

F-deck HPF-3 is what you want.

Your amp's 50hz 3db filter is 6db at 25hz, I think that's how it goes.
  12. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

So...not to sound completely ignorant but I keep seeing Thumpinator mentioned. In what circumstance should I think about purchasing one? It filters out higher decibals we don't hear right?

I play through a Hartke HA 3500 350 Watt Head. The cabs are a Hartke that had the aluminum coated speakers, and the bottom is a Mesa Boogie with a 15" sub. I'm playing a Rickenbacker 4003 bass.

Any knowledge, feedback, and advice would be awesome.
  13. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

It filters out the low freqs your speakers struggle to produce thus saving your speakers from damage that's the quick and dirty I'm sure someone else can give a more technical explanation
  14. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

From reading around today, it seems the Thumpinator has a very steep cut at approx. 30Hz, rather than a "very gradual". The question would be if anywhere in the chain you have another HPF that cuts off around the same frequency. Alternatively, you might want to check this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/fdecks-hpf-865291/

More info in his site: https://sites.google.com/site/hpftechllc/home/hpf-pre
  15. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I was going to suggest looking into that as well. Might be my next gear purchase to get my rig more efficient and keep clean headroom.
  16. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Where is a link to this Fdeck product or any of their other products?
  17. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

I just posted it two posts above yours. It's in a Google's site.
  18. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

while I'm here...
    I use an octave pedal (MXR BassOctave Deluxe) and I'm thinking about using the Thumpinator after the octave pedal to help save PA's when I run direct.
    My cabinet has a steep roll off after 100Hz, so I'm not worried about that.
    Any thoughts?
  19. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    That can definitely work, but I say let the engineer worry about the pa. He's probably already high passing you anyway.
  20. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Even a sealed cab tone benefits from not sending it LF nonsense that it doesn't reproduce.