Thunderbird gigbag PSA (warning)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonegasm, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Tonegasm

Tonegasm www.richwronski.com Supporting Member

I recently purchased a Gibson T Bird to gig with. I didn't want to haul the humongous hardcase, so I ordered the below gigbag:

http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbird-Bass-Guitar-soft-case/dp/B003C1M5HA

It's being returned ASAP. Be warned that this is by no stretch of the imagination a quality gig bag that offers any protection against anything other than scratches. The padding is extremely skimpy. This might as well be called a slip cover. Save your money.

I'll take my chances stuffing my T Bird into my iGig double bag. It puts a little pressure on the headstock but it's not too bad and the iGig is padded to all hell.

Photo of the substandard gigbag:

[​IMG]

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have said it many times and I'll say it again. Real Thunderbirds need a hardshell case. A Epi bolt on doesn't. But a real nine ply Tbirds does.

3. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

Any decent instrument needs a hard shell case. I understand that they can be a pain to carry but it's totally worth it

4. Tonegasm

A quality gigbag like an iGig or Mono will do just fine. I'd played countless gigs with my Gibson Les Pauls in them. They've been fine, even after falling flat on the floor and being tossed around into vehicles/venues. Will it survive a fall from a balcony? No. But a hardcase won't help then, either.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Oh I completely agree every bass I own has a HSC and that's a lot of cases. I do have one exception the Squire I keep at work is in a gig bag. :D

7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

If one thinks that a gig bag is no better than a garbage bag they owe it to themselves to go and check out the new bags on the market. I know nobody has said that yet, but it's inevitable in these threads.

There is no right or wrong answer on which is better. Everyone has different needs and whats better for one isn't always better for another. I NEED to be able to:
    1: Fit basses in my car along with the rest of my gear. A HSC will fit, but I need to be careful about what else comes along.
    2: Carry basses on my back. My car is not right outside my front door. It's down the street. The more stuff I can carry in one shot, the better. I bring 2 basses to all gigs, so in hard cases that would be one trip right there.

A gig bag (Mono M80 & Mono Vertigo) allows me to do all of that, as well as carry some other items in the bag which eliminates me carrying another bag to house that stuff in.

When I owned my T Bird, the case barely fit in my back seat (the only place basses can fit in my car with the rest of my gear) and was very difficult to close the door. A gig bag was basically the only option for me to actually take it out of the house.

8. LAST_C

LAST_C

That's bad news man... I just ordered one. I have both an Epi and a Gibson and I have a real hard time with those huge hardshell cases and my compact car. The Epi case barely fits but, the Gibson hardshell is impossible. I was hoping this was a solution. I'm very disappointed.

9. Tonegasm

I'm sorry you caught this late, but hopefully my thread helps others in the future.

10. Mark4

Mark4

That's too bad. I have one and it's as good as any Jazz/Precision gig bag I've seen in the price range. Padding is just as thick etc. I rarely use it because I prefer a hard case, but there's nothing wrong with mine. Maybe they've changed the way they're made or yours is defective.

11. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I have one also - got it recently. Looks to be that bag exactly. My 1st consideration was fitting a T-bird, the price, and what I will use it for. (mine you I would not take my '64 out in anything but a dedicated Gibson T-bird hs case) I have an Epi Fenderbird and gig with it occasionally. This bag works for me.
    ____________________________________________________________________________
    I'm sorry you caught this late, but hopefully my thread helps others in the future.

pahlease... :rolleyes:

12. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

13. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

I use gig bags all the time, but wouldn't consider putting my thunderbirds in anything but a hard case. For one, they are so long that I am more likely to knock them around when transporting them. Two, my Epi's have no volute and are very thin at the typical break point. My Gibson at least has a volute, but it is still an extremely long bass.

14. stiles72

stiles72

If you don't want to lug the Gibson Piano Case around, try an Epi Tbird case. They can be had pretty reasonable, and have a more streamlined build than the Gibson.

As Scott said - I'd never carry a Gibson in a gig bag, but would have no problem taking a bolt on Epi in one.

15. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

No gig bag on the market is going to offer as much protection as a hardcase. Besides if you're dropping that kind of dough on a bass, what's another $100 to protect it?

16. bassgod0dmw

Actually, there are gig bags that perform just as good or better than a hard case. Check out some video on the Reunion Blues bags. They drop a guitar off of a 3 story roof and it's totally fine and in tune. I wouldn't do that in a hard case.

ALL of my basses came with a hard case so it's not the extra money. Heck, my gig bags were a lot more than $100. A gig bag is the only way that I carry an instrument to a gig. 1000's of gigs and I've never had a single problem. I'm not saying a bag is better for everyone, but it's better for me.

As with anything YMMV.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Does Gibson not include hard cases with new basses? If not, they really should for what they charge. I wouldn't buy most of their offerings without budgeting for a HSC.

18. bassgod0dmw

Depends on the bass. A TBird comes with a hard case...it's huge!

19. jbiscuti

jbiscuti

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Grolsch Strap Locks
    I toured all summer with this same Thunderbird gig bag. No complaints. My 'Bird is fine. YMMV.

20. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

As with most any Gibson with the tilted headstock, these need a hardcase.

That said I have no case for my Korean Epi T-Bird bass as it never leaves the house but i have often wondered if a really well padded gig bag was available to fit a T-Bird....one that truly protects the neck/headstock.

21. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Took the TBird I bought from bassgod0dmw to an impromptu recording session..... threw it in a gigbag, in the car..... done.

Just be careful with your gear.:D

If I was putting it in a truck?..... Hard case of course.

First Gibby I've owned. Sounded great. Lovin' this bass.