1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Thunderbird Owners - What case do you use?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeowen17, Nov 15, 2011.

1. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Supporting Member

As the thread suggests - what cases are out there which fit the Thunderbird. I've already found the obvious ones (Epiphone) but was wondering if any standard issue cases fit the thunderbird.

Extra points for anyone who can identify a good gig bag or case I can carry on my shoulders!

2. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have some '76 cases that I use and the newer Gibson case is nice except for the poodle white interior. A flight case is ideal but heavy. I would not carry a Thunderbird (Gibson) in a gig bag. Good way to loose your headstock.

3. mikeowen17

mikeowen17 Supporting Member

Yeah, I'm trying to find a used Gibson case.

Mine is a 77 and I have the OHSC, but it is wrecked - and a headstock break on this one would be the third time! I only got it back from a headstock repair yesterday!

4. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Even tho it's bigger I prefer the contemporary Gibson case for all of my 'Birds - with a '77 I usually fold a small towel lengthwise on the lower 'bout - helps keep it from shifting around.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. rockscott

rockscott

My tbird pro is a big long bass, i ordered the epi case & waited forever for it. Its a real nice case, set me back $100.

7. 4String Thing

4String Thing

I have a $100 Coffin case. Fits nice and snug. Has a big compartment for stuff. And it's pretty strong. I'm 150lbs and have stood on it a few times during practice. Looks pretty sweet too.

Attached Files:

8. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

I own a 1990 Thunderbird, came with the standard Gibson Tbird case,p%^y pink interior on that one. Also an Epi Pro, and it's standard Epi Tbird case.

Both cases are great for hauling/storing/protecting Tbirds IMO. I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to haul the Gibson in the Epi case, as it affords just as much protection as the Gibson case. I would think that the Epi case would be just the solution to the OP's case issue. $100 is cheap to pay for that kind of protection for a vintage bass, especially one that's prone to headstock problems. And I agree that I would never haul a Tbird in a gig bag...any gig bag.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

I have two '76 Tbirds. One I purchased new (the one in my avatar) and I have it in the original case. The other I bought used without a case and use the Epi case. The Epi case is a good case, I don't regret getting it at all.

I also have a Ritter gig bag made for Thunderbirds that I use on rare occasions. I only use it when I have complete control over the conditions because Tbirds are prone to broken necks. I only use it with the bird I bought used that has already had a broken neck. I wouldn't recommend the gig bag for every day use. I only use it for rehearsal because we rehearse at a hanger at the airport and it is about a 200 yard walk from the parking lot to the hanger. In that situation I can be very careful with it. I wouldn't take it to a gig in a gig bag.

10. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    My '76 resides in a epi case, very nice case for the $.

11. rdwil191

rdwil191 Supporting Member

I only have Epi birds...at the moment, but I'd never put them in a gig bag. When I ordered my ebony IV from MF, I also ordered a black Musicians Gear case. Just checked & they're still only $50. They're cheap, but mine has been used/transported about 150 times in the 14mos. I've had it...cheap protection + it holds my d.i. box, strap, cables, tuner, etc. I also fold a towel & put it below the lower wing to help prevent shifting. I have the Epi case, too, but it's just used to store whichever bass I'm not using.

12. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk

Can you post a link to the Musicians Gear case?

13. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

I own one of these, which I use with another bass I have. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/musicians-gear-deluxe-bass-case

While the MG case is an excellent value (now on sale @ $39, btw) it does not fit my Epi Pro Tbird, nor my GIbson Tbird. The Tbirds (49" long) are about an inch longer than the case (compartment opening is 48"). The Epi IV might be shorter, but anyone considering should get out a tape measure first. The Tbird is one loooong bass.

14. Jammin Johneboy

Jammin Johneboy

15. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

16. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Epi case for Epi Pro V, Orville by Gibson TB, Brice(Rondo) TB, Orville(Epi Japan) TB.
    IMO, the Epi case is better than the Gibson case b/c the Epi case has a real handle while the Gibson case has a leather(?) wrap handle that ends up unwrapping....

17. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    i use an Epi case for my modded non reverse bachbird. IIRC the non reverse is actually a tiny bit longer than the reverse. i got mine new for $69 shipped about a year ago.

[​IMG]

18. Bongolation

Bongolation

I got a '70s reissue Gibson case for $10 at a Guitar Center sale for my '63 T-II, which came with no case when I bought it for $75 in '71.

19. Saarik

Saarik

Wait... so the thunderbird (apparantly listed as 50.5") fits in a 47.5" Musician's Friend case?!

So that's 128cm vs 120...
    WHAAT

EDIT: or does that 47.5" not include the utility compartment?

20. Trooper1911

Trooper1911

Disclosures:
    Student, RAF Computer science
    Interesting find,and not yet mentioned, are the BC Rich cases. I got one used off some guy on the adds, for 50$ shipped, I even have 2 inches or so free space, so i made some foam inserts to hold my epi in place

21. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

MF or MG case does NOT fit... The only cases that will bit a bird are Gibson or Epi bird cases.