Thunderbirds!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThatCoolBassist, Feb 9, 2014.

1. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I've been [GAS]ing for a new bass for a while. Never really had any interest in tbirds. However, the one I played at GC seemed pretty solid. I'm a very versatile player. My GC didn't have the epi pro. I played the standard epi. Anyone have any good things to say about these? It'd be my 3rd bass :p

Attached Files:

2. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  4. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

I have an epi thunderbird, and I'll say I personally, I could have got better bang for my buck
  7. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I've got an Epi Pro IV Thunderbird and I'll say it would have been difficult to find a better bang for so little buck...although it's not my only bass.
  8. OzzyGreg

OzzyGreg Supporting Member

+1
  9. epirokker

epirokker

Same goes for the Epi Thunderbird Classic Pro. Great price and a great bass. Can't go wrong with those Gibson USA humbuckers, and it's sexy as hell in arctic white IMO.
  10. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

I feel I might just save up and spend it on a tbird 5er.
  11. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Careful though, it's either you're a thunderbird player or not, saw guys return it after a week of just having it, The standard is kinda dull for me, I got the classic-IV pro, and I'm happy with it. Very efficient and versatile bass.
  12. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

I too am gassing for a 5 string T-bird.. 35" though. :ninja:
  13. ThatCoolBassist

ThatCoolBassist

Really I only prefer tbirds as 5ers. They're big in the first place,so that low b seems perfect :thumbup::thumbup:
  14. bntmusic

bntmusic

I just got my Classic IV Pro I love it great sound, look and feel for me. I do rec. you play before you buy. I read a lot about neck dive the pro has the button by the base of the neck it is not a problem for me at all. I have a Cort and an Ibanez as well each has there own sound and personality.
  15. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Since I'm a lefty, and Epi T-Birds are not, can't really comment on them (though I do have other Epis, and like them a lot); my only T-Bird option was a Gibson.:crying: Mine is really, really nice; much more versatile tone than I was expecting ( and some Epis have the same pickups); not muddy at all, IMO. And yes, mine's a neck diver; nowhere near as bad as my Kramer 450B lumie, though. I would say that as close as you can get to a Gibson T-Bird, the more you'll like it.
  16. Joeynone

Joeynone Supporting Member

I have a 1991 Gibson Thunderbird IV... I love the look, feel and sound of it. That's my baby.
    ....with that said....
    I honesty think the new epi's are built tougher than the new gibsons... I would suggest an Epi and replace the pickups with TB+, Lollar or Mike Lull pups
  17. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    I had a 91 Les Paul with Thunderbird electronics. I upgraded the pickups to Bartolini and added the 3-Position Toggle to each pickup giving it Parallel / Single-Coil / Series settings. Holy Gaucamole! Best sounding T-bird Ever.
  18. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Although I'm not a T-Bird owner, I've seen this sentiment quite often 'round these parts. Ergonomically speaking, it seems it either fits you or it doesn't. In that case, I'd strongly recommend you try one out thoroughly before buying. Electronics can be changed with a little work, but how it feels in your hands and on your shoulder, that's not so easily modified.
  19. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

You are either a 'Bird person or you are not. They pick you, you don't pick them. That's how it seems to work.
  20. Joeynone

Joeynone Supporting Member

That just sounds like awesome sauce