Thunderfunk + Basswitch for Double bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by michricker, Feb 3, 2014.

1. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Just picked up a basswitch preamp/DI and want to use it through my thunderfunk 800 for both electric and double bass. How does this set up compare to a purely acoustic combo like an acoustic image clarus4 as example for double bass?

2. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    The 10 megOhm option really opens up most piezo-based pickups for URB. The preamp sounds really tight and amazing.

And the Basswitch has a TON of gain at its output, you might consider patching it into the effects return of the ThunderFunk rather than the main input, to bypass the TF's preamp section altogether and get the least "colored" tone (unless you like the color that the TF may impart.) That should, essentially, be like running the Basswitch directly into a clean power amp.

3. michricker

michricker Supporting Member

Thanks mark. Sounds like this is going to be a great Option trying the basswitch right into the return.

Do you guys think this would be as good or better of an option than a dedicated acoustic head like an AI clarus?

4. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member

Funny.... I've got the high powered Acoustic Image Focus head and I've been lusting after my friend's Thunderfunk.......Both are great amps and will work very well for double bass. If you already have the TF and it is paid for, I'd just stay with that one.

j.
    www.condino.com
    www.kaybassrepair.com

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. brianrost

brianrost Supporting Member

I own an AMP 420, the amp the Thunderfunks are based on. It works fine with DB as long as you have the right cabinet. The speaker is far more important than the amp when it comes to getting a good tone.

7. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Having used Walter Woods amps for a long time, it took years for pickups and speaker cabinets to "catch up" to the quality and pre amp voicing of my amplifiers. There are some amplifiers that aren't voiced well for Double Bass, but in my limited trial of the Thunderfunk, it sounded fine. I prefer a two channel amplifier, but that limits your choices somewhat.

Ric