1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"Thunking" B-string after switching to Flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by awilkie84, Nov 29, 2012.

1. awilkie84

awilkie84

So, at the suggestion of a TB Spector Club member, I put a set of GHS Precision Flats (Long+ scale 45-65-85-105-126) on my 2006 Spector Rebop 5DLX.

I love the tone of the EADG strings, and can finally turn up the TonePump EQ a bit without it getting harsh on the highs. BUT the B string is lacking root definition & sustain. It just feels dead & thunky. It's not floppy, though. My previous strings (DR Black Beauties) weren't like this.
    The fat part of the string is just at the point where it's touching the post (just how the string sits due to length) , and it seems to be seated in the nut correctly. The bridge angle hasn't changed, and it's seated well there, too. Would a shorter B string that doesn't make contact with the post solve the issue?

Any suggestions? I'd really hate to be out cash on a set of strings just because the B isn't working out.
  2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

At the bridge try pressing on the string on both sides of the saddle so that there is a sharp angle and not a rounded one.
  3. awilkie84

awilkie84

There doesn't seem to be any play to change the angle. It does seem to be coming over the bridge at a more round angle, though.
  4. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

A dead B may mean that the string twisted a bit on installation or you have a bad break angle or the pickups need adjusted. I would unwind the string a couple of inches and run your fingers down from the nut end to stretch it back and untwist if necessary. Seat the ball end in the untwisted position and tension the middle of the string until you get rewound. After you get up to pitch, kink the string over the saddle by pressing down between the saddle and the back pickup. Retune and see if it helped.

If the pickup is too close to the B it will also kill its sustain.
  5. bigalbass

bigalbass

+ 1 on making sure that the bend is sharp over the bridge. I would recommend turning down the tone pump to where you had it with the old string set and (them tone pumps are strong) and setting volume through your amp. I think that the B string may be "farting out" under all the pre amp power.
  6. gary m

gary m

+1. I have two basses strung with GHS Precisions, and in both cases I had to flatten out the EQ to where the low B didn't slam the front end of my amp. I found a lighter touch works best, and I love those strings...the tone and feel can't be beat.
  7. awilkie84

awilkie84

This would make sense, except the acoustic sustain is killed, too.

The pickups are about 3/4" away from the strings, too.

Sidenote, I'm having the same issue with my P-5 after stringing it with a set of GHS Brite Flats that arrived today. -_-

I'm going to try the suggestion of fixing the twisting & see if this helps.

UPDATE: "Untwisting" the strings & pushing on the string between the pickup and the bridge to change the break angle worked! Now there's lots of life to the strings. I'll keep this in mind for next time. ^_^
  8. Diesel Kilgore

Diesel Kilgore

I hate to say it. But GHS Precision Flats have a common problem of DOA fat strings. My brand new set of these for a 4 string had the E acting the same way.

The tone wasnt there like the other strings. Felt like a problem. It may be a specific problem with your B or it could be along the same lines as the issue I had and have heard about. I never broke in the ADG to see if it would balance. Because I put my rounds backs on. Thats how dissapointed I was. :( Although the tone was exceptional and exactly what I wanted in a flat. Minus the feel of the E. This was the first time GHS strings ever dissapointed me.
  9. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Nice!