TI Flats on an American Precision

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Old Fart, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart

I just got a 2004 American Precision that needs a setup. I want to make a string decision, then take it in for the setup. The bass has a string-through-body bridge. I have heard those bridges are not appropriate for flats. That seems silly. A Precision that cannot accept flats?

I have also heard that TI Flats are flexible enough for this. Comments?

I have also been told the strings might not be long enough. Anybody use TI Flats on a string-through P?

2. JFOC

JFOC

on my 2010 Am P one of the first things I did was put on a set of TI jazz flats Through the body. I had a break with in a month, where my last set of strings had lasted me years.

I got another set and strung them through the bridge & haven't had a problem in 2 years.

YMMV

3. billgwx

billgwx Supporting Member

Yep, as JFOC says, some flats do not like the sharp break angle as the strings pass from the holes in the body to the saddles.

I have a 1998 American Standard P that came stock with a string-through-body-only bridge. I got tired of having to worry about potential breakage and whether strings would be long enough, and replaced that bridge with a High-Mass Vintage bridge that gave me the option of through-bridge or through-body.

4. jobo4

jobo4

Hey OF. The recent Fender bridges will do either top load or through the body. Top loaded flats are fine... years of use. Flats through the body, even TIs are more likely to fail.

Edit: 04 is through the body only?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

I love the TI/P Bass combo so much that if I had a string-thru I'd spend the $30 for a stock top loader and make the 2 minute conversion and never look back!

7. Mushroo

Mushroo

You will not find a finer combination than TI Jazz Flats on a P Bass.

Sorry I can't address your concern about the thru-body bridge.

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

I have TI flats on almost all of my basses; I've never enjoyed the sound of my fretless '73 P-bass (with quarter-pounders) more than I have since I started using TI flats; "My sound."

9. ljazz

ljazz

I really do not like the TI's with the stock AmStd pup ..... to wide and tame sounding.(although, I bet they sound good with the CS pup they now put in the AmStds). My '08 MIA P sounded really bad with the TI's on... .Chromes gave it a bit more ooomp. I pulled the pup, and put in the OV pup, and they (TI's) sound fantastic (I top loaded them). I play TI's on my CS '59 P, and it sounds incredible.

10. Old Fart

Old Fart

This is encouraging. But the post about the '08 sounding poor is discouraging. This bass sounds amazing. And it does seem to have the top load option. I am tempted to try TI strings, I tend to prefer flats, and I just think a P should have flats.

Discuss....

11. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Yes they will fit thru-body on your P-Bass.

You do NOT need to get the Extra Long for a Fender P for them to fit properly.

12. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

I had TI's on an american 2008 P but they did not make it a "this is it" bass moment for me. I was very much in my GAS search mode then though. Still am. Strangely enough, although you did not ask, (sorry upfront), I am keeping my G&L SB ,that is a P/J and is strung with GHS precision flats.
    Did you mention if you tried TI's yet? Low tension is not for everyone. Maybe topload some cheap but good flats like the GHS first and see how you like them with that bass.
    Again sorry for the derail.

13. Old Fart

Old Fart

No derail at all. Thank you for the input. I do have a plan of trying out the TI's before deciding.

I wonder if the pups on an '08 are the same as on an '04. this bass sounds pretty amazing. Despite wearing rounds at the moment, it is thunderous.

14. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's

I have the T.I. Flats on several basses and love 'em. However, on my '08 USA P, I have the LaBella flats. Seems to be the perfect combination.

When I hear the recorded live sound from our gigs I can't imagine a better bass sound. That's what it is all about, isn't it??

15. mntngrown

mntngrown Supporting Member

That is 99% of the battle then. Now you are just in the super fine tune mode.Congrats on scoring a great bass.
    I recall a video where Justin M Johnson, again sorry, too lazy to look up spelling, was recommending Chromes on a Fender, P, I think. It is great to have a stable platform like yours for experimentation. Fender might answer your inquiry re PUPs on different models. Luck to you!

16. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

That is my experience with TIs as well on my 2008. I'm currently going with rounds

17. hags2k

hags2k

I recently picked up one of the 2012 models with the new pickup - very sweet and indeed much less "honky" (for lack of a better word) than the previous pups. Theo older pups had more low-mid punch, but I like the more traditional open sound of the CS pup, even after trying several alternatives.

18. KeithPoker

KeithPoker Previously KeithKlaxwell Supporting Member

TI flats on my string thru Fenders with no problems.

19. ljazz

ljazz

I find exactly the opposite..... the previous pups had no low mid punch..... virtually none at all. And I think it takes pups with a solid low mid thing happening to make the most of what the TI's have to offer. The OV pup is seriously more low mid focused than the older mia pup in the '08 AmStd.... and I think it is exactly why the TI's sound better on it. My CS '59 P ('08 model) is absolutely beautiful sounding with TI's. So much so, that my '08 AmStd now sports nickel rounds.

20. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

I should add I didn't have problems going thru body

21. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

I have them thru-body with no problems.