TI Jazz Flats ... first impressons.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Sav'nBass, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Background.. I have been using round wounds exclusively for years.. This is the first set of flats I have put on a bass in well over 30 years. The first set of rounds I tried were Rotosounds back in the day .. and I just preferred that sound. I have tried several different strings and had kind of settled into DR BBs on all my basses for the past few years. I have been reading on TB over the years about flats and so I decided that since I had several basses I would pick one and put a set of flats on it... but I remembered why I switched to rounds in the first place so I did a lot of reading.. and I settled on either Chromes or the TIs.. The frst time I saw TIs my eyes popped out of my head at the price... and I remember thinking .. "They will never make it to a bass of mine.." :p However in that never ending quest for tone and feel I decided to give them a go after reading so many positive reviews here and on various sites that sell them.. so I decided to put them on my JV24 because it has a U Retro on it and I figured if I did have some tonal issues it might be easier for me to compensate using the bass itself.

First thing I noticed was ... the B on these strings is the fattest B string I have ever played.. and the G is the smallest G I have ever played.. The bridge on my J24 can be string through the body or through the bridge .. and previously I always went through the body but the winding on the B was so fat I had to go through the bridge... not really an issue but just a point of note. These strings are .136 .100 .070 .056 .043 ... my BBs were .124 .105 .085 .65 .45. which is the gauge I am most used to give or take a few .000s .

I noticed right off the bat that these strings feel absolutely great on my fingers.. I had forgotten how good flats felt.. I also noticed when tuning the bass that the strings held their tuning pretty well.. it was pretty stable.. The DRrs I had been using .. and I tried Hi Beams, Lo Riders and Dragon Skinz and before that I used Elixers.. but they all seemed to kind of float on the tuning.. I use my B3 tuner and even when I got the other strings in tune they would still kind of fluctuate a bit before they settled into proper tune.. With these strings it was rock solid. When I put on new strings I usually over tune a few notches on the tuner to let the strings settle.. I had to do that once with these.. and they were in.. I put them on about 20 minutes ago and I just checked the tuning again .. and one string was a line or two off.. the others were still rock solid.

The tone is definitely different from the rounds.. slapping I don't get the same twang and it is hard to EQ it in.. I get more of a Grahamesque kind of growl than the twang I am used to.. but it sounds good.. The tension on these strings is excellent.. not too much in the way of flopping around.. and I did not change my action at all.. I have noticed that the bass sounds more articulate... When I tap the strings the sound is clearer than it was with my DRs.. which surprised me.. (not tat I do a lot of tapping or am any good at it.. ;) ) The feel on the fingers is great .... and the strings sound good anywhere on the neck..

Overall I am pleased with the strings.. Will I put them on all my basses? No .. but I will try a set of TI rounds on my other bass.. I will see how long the flats hold up but so far I'd say this experiment has been a success ..

2. greggster59

greggster59 Supporting Member

Thanks for your impressions.

The TI's have a relatively long break-in period before they really start to sing. I had them on two of my basses for almost two years and the sound really opened up after a month or two.

3. gsquare

gsquare Supporting Member

Thanks for this report. I have a Gibson LP Sig Hollowbody that has what my local bass shop thinks are the original flatwounds on it from 1974 and I've been wondering what to replace them with. I was thinking really hard about the TI flats, but was afraid to lose articulation compared to rounds. I going to give them a try after reading your post.

Thanks!

4. Sav'nBass

I decided to take this bass for Sunday instead of the one I rehearsed with.. I also play with the Hispanic ministry at my church and this will fit right in.. I am amazed at how quiet my playing is now.. LOL.. Even sliding is quiet.. all sound .. no squeak.. am going to order a set of the rounds for my other go to bass.. The BBs have been on there for almost a year now anyway..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Sav'nBass

After playing this morning with the TI flats i got a lot of compliments from some of the other band members and some congregation members on the way I sounded.. I liked them and I think I will be keeping them on this bass from here on.. From what I have read these strings last a long time so this is a wrap. I will have to adjust my bridge though...

7. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I stuck a bass in my
    The Jazz rounds are really thin and the floppiest strings ever made.....if you want a TI that sounds great and feels more like regular strings try the infeld superalloy...they are great! they never die too! the sound you get out of the pack pretty much stays....great growl nice even feel and tone.

8. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

I've got TI jazz flats on three out of four basses, I just love them, and they last forever. The .136 B is a whopper, but it sounds great. I have them in an extra long set for the 37" Dingwall B string. They sound great, very clear and precise.

Plus 1! on the Infeld Superalloy rounds for another sweet set of strings. They feel very much like the jazz flats in terms of tension, and have a nice, warm tone. They also cost about half what the TI jazz flats go for.

9. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

TI flats on my fretless. Uprighty thump to full on Jaco burp and everything in between. Outstanding strings.

10. Sav'nBass

Yeah I was thinking of trying them on another bass..