1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

TI Jazz Flats vs La Bella tape wounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LSMFT6, Feb 1, 2014.

1. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Anyone have experience with both? I exclusively used the Thomastik-Infeld flats for years and still love the sound and feel, but I switched to LoRiders with a new PJ-bass and now I've been made aware of the La Bella tape wounds. Anyone tried the white nylons ones, too?
  2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Where in California are you? You can come play them here if you would like.

If you get the 50-105 Tapewounds you will find they are a little less flexible than the T-I's. The White Nylon are softer and smoother to the touch.
  3. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

The tapes are darker sounding and have more tension than the TI's. I have both and I like them both. The TI's have a more broad band midrange presence as well.
  4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

What about tone-wise?
  5. Isotonic

Isotonic Supporting Member

Tone wise?

Labella tapes: Dark, chewy and funky.
    TI Flats: Singing upper mids. Bouncy bottom. Like a round with the highs rolled off.
  6. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Thanks, good info. My second question was in response to slapinfunk, didn't see your reply until now.
  7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

I've used both also. FWIW, I didn't care much for the TI's - way to low tension for me. I have used both versions of the LaBella Tapes, now using the white ones on a G&L fretless (medium gauge, not the standard/light gauge).

Whites are a little brighter than the black tapes. Very nice playing strings.

I use pyramid flats on my primary bass (a P), and the tapes on fretless. I like them both - the flats are a bit more one-dimensional. What they do, they do really well (think Motown).
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

My Godin piezo basses really like the Labella Black tapes. A Boulder Creek ABG that i own likes TIJF's . My Rumblefish PJ has TIJF's on it, 5 string Guild Fretless J TIJF's

I let the bass make the decision... Both string sets have very rich mid complexity. I think fretless is where both sets shine.
  9. CM63

CM63

I loved the low tension of TIs, I kept putting my Daddario black tapes back on, then back and forth and realzed that tapewounds are what I hear in my head so now they are on permanantly (unless I get an itch for the Labellas, which I kinda do now that you mention it).
    The TI's to my ear have more top end (obviously) and really nice e string growl to my ears.
    But I just love that think bottom, and mellow, singing (not piano-bright) top I get from tapes.
    Go with Bass strings online, and try them out!