Tight fuzz ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adamaarts, Jan 2, 2014.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Previously stinky634 Supporting Member

In this video at 1:04 he plays through a Devi Ever Ruiner and the tone is just sick. Very Muse like and I totally dig it. Aside from that particular pedal what other companies make something like that? And what would it be described as? Synth fuzz? Tight?

http://youtu.be/Dbf_42qjx2k
  2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I'd describe it as Lo-Fi, Flat, and gated. I don't know of any fuzz pedal off hand that give you that "flat" kind of sound.
  3. Phagor

Phagor

Gated fuzz. Check out the Zvex Wooly Mammoth and the Iron Ether Oxide.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine has a switchable gate on it like the Ruiner, plus it can sound normal. Not my thang but definitely look for a gated fuzz.

Man, did that Big Muff come off bad in that demo or what? Totally had that "bees in the background" sound. I had one for a day or two and it wasn't THAT bad. Dude picked a horrible setting.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. adamaarts

The Wooly Mammoth is nice sounding too. Too bad its hard to find decent demos of the others. I am sure they sound better than the farty sloppy sounds all over Youtube.

That Fuzz Off video would have been much cooler with a small amount of adjusting at least for each pedal.
  7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That's why Juan Alderete's Fuzz Wars are so much better. Juan and whoever he's doing his Fuzz Wars with actually go through the pedals and try different settings. This one tells you nothing.

www.pedalsandeffects.com
  8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
  9. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Mooer Fog bass fuzz is a woolly mammoth clone, I believe.
  10. Voss451

Voss451

I have to say it wasn't much of a "shootout". He never said anything about the features of each, how he had each one set or even the price. I'd say it was his first ever "fuzz sampler" if anything.

My guess is that the Muff didn't sound right is because he had it on the "dry" setting which lessens the fuzz effect, which to be honest, doesn't make much sense to me when he's trying to demonstrate FUZZ PEDALS !!
  11. russpurdy

russpurdy Supporting Member

Wooly mammoth or a clone would get close. Devi Ever stuff is usually reasonably priced though. Couldn't you just pick one of those up? I happen to have a wooly mammoth clone in the classifieds though ;) haha.
  12. Swift713

Swift713

That was a pretty lame video. I thought salesmen were supposed to pretend to care about what they're selling. He was too cool for school.
  13. johnbegone

johnbegone Supporting Member

Media:
    I can get that Ruiner sound with my Wooly Mammoth for sure. He has the Pinch knob up around 1 or 2 o'clock in this video, but bring it down to around 9 and it'll get super zippery and gated. I've seen Ruiner's available used with relative frequency - so you could always just look for one of those, but they are a little less versatile than the Mammoth (which is itself not very versatile).

I have the TAFM with the gate mod and it doesn't do this sound, fwiw.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Mine does ;)
  15. adamaarts

I am liking the sounds from the Mooer Fog and the Wooly Mammoth. Seems like the Ruiner either sounds like crap except that one setting or every other video demo of it just sucks horribly.

If only one of my classifieds would sell, I'd get on the fuzz.
  16. adamaarts

I think I found the description I am looking for. Sawtooth. I like the synthy super tight sound like the Devi Ever Bit, something like that.

Edit: after some browsing I'm almost thinking I might be better off with a boss syb5 since it actually has other synth style sound is use as well.