Tim Foreman

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by snakesandarrows, Dec 13, 2009.

1. snakesandarrows

snakesandarrows

Any Switchfoot fans out there on TB? thought i'd start a discussion about Mr. Tim Foreman... I won't say his bass lines are great, but he's got some killer tones! To name a few:

- Amateur Lovers Distortion (sends chills down my back)
    - Hello Hurricane (title track off the new album, listen to the beginning)
    - 4:12 (really basic, yet wet and modern sound, and awesome)

I'd love to get that thick Amateur Lovers Distortion... does anyone know what effects or pedals he uses. I couldn't find anything except his amps and basses.

- Gallien Krueger Amps and Cabs
    - Lakland 4-94
    - Lakland Decade
    - Fender Precision Bass

The list goes on on basses, but I think those are his mains...
  2. michaelc

michaelc

I remeber a bass player where he said he used a bass POD.
  3. snakesandarrows

snakesandarrows

yeah, im sure he would not in the studio though...
  4. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Disclosures:
    Sweetwater Sound
    I think his basslines -are- great. The earlier Switchfoot stuff was really bass-centric. Great listening. After "The Beautiful Letdown" he kind of took a backseat, but there are still plenty of goodies to be found.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Coeball

Coeball

1+ Tim is an amazing bassist his playing on "Gone" is mind-blowingly funky, considering live he is singing Harmony vocals at the same time that is even more intimidating. I also agree with you about him not being as prominent any more, which a shame. The closest to his old playing is on "Dirty Second Hands" and there is some crazy legato stuff going on in "Oh Gravity".

Furthermore, he is the only bass player I can think of who has made a Musicman Stingray sound warm !
  7. Coeball

Coeball

I just listen to "Oh Gravity" again and Holy **** his playing is smoking on that album, he plays way more interesting stuff than on "Hello Hurricane".

I have a sneaking suspicion that I am the only one who is going to contribute to this thread, but I don't care I will shout Tim Foreman's name from the roof tops.
  8. Jacob J

Jacob J

Also "This Is Your Life" bassline is great. Really amazing synthy tone. I've always been curious about what effects he uses to create that sound.
  9. ahbassman

ahbassman

He sounds really fantastic live. I saw them once and his tone made me really consider GK amps as an option i the future for me...
  10. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Gravity Picks
    Always been a fan, seem em a few times live. Killer band.
  11. Coeball

Coeball

I think its probably a load of studio effects (delay,fuzz, some envelope stuff) , but the Bass Big muff nails that tone pretty well.
  12. Coeball

Coeball

I wish there had been a few more bass moments on Hello Hurricane, seems like most of the time he is just following the guitars :rollno: !
  13. timbledum

timbledum

Or are the guitars following him?

I would have to say he's a massive influence on me too. I love the photo in the beautiful letdown album cover (i think thats the album) where hes jumping with his legs up with a stingray up in the air. Just real tasteful playing allround, and his tones are my "head-tones" if you know what I mean. I've only just got hello hurricane but I agree oh gravity is awesome, nice and rough. Im keen to get their older stuff after reading this thread.
  14. LAG

LAG Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Fan: Green bay Packers
    Spotted him playing through what appeared to be a new Line 6 rack mount head on top of his GK 8x10 cab on a late night talk show with Switchfoot, a month or so ago. TV shot was brief on his rig, so I could be mistaken.

Anyway, a big SF fan here. "The Beautiful Letdown" is a masterpiece, IMO.
  15. cedar

cedar

I like Tim's lines, his tone, and his attitude. I would consider him one of my main influences. And, yes, the guitars are following him... :smug:
  16. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

Switchfoot fan here. My best friend owns every Switchfoot/Jon Foreman album released, so Tim's stuff is readily available. These guys are really talented and creative, for sure. I would love to be in a band with my brother someday!
  17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

I do enjoy Switchfoot and Foreman. I saw them live and they were fantastic, but Tim wasn't with them due to illness. :(
  18. Coeball

Coeball

Or are the guitars following him?

I had never thought of It like that before, thanks for the insight !
    I am learning "Dirty Second Hands" the time signature changes are hard to keep up with.
  19. Bardley

Bardley

I love the Switchfoot stuff. In my ProTools certification training a few years back one of the demo sessions we messed with was "Meant to Live" from Beautiful Letdown. I was cool to see how the session was put together. There were tons of guitar layers. There were two bass tracks, a DI line and a miced cab. Both had FX if I remember correctly. It was nice to get to solo instruments and see how they actually sound. You can't always hear that on the final mix.

I saw them live back probably 12 years ago and he was using Musicman basses and an SVT, I believe.
  20. Longstreet

Longstreet

HUGE Switchfoot fan here. I had heard them a bit on the radio, and liked what I heard, but when I saw them live at Rock the Desert in Midland TX last August the lights really came on! Musically, lyrically, personally, they are a fantastic group of guys.

Tim has influenced my style a bit (though I'm still such a newbie, I'm not sure I have a "style" yet), but he's definitely influenced my attitude. I had heard all the stuff about "bass isn't meant to be heard", and it always made me wonder if that's the case, then why am I up here? I listened to some of Switchfoot's music and decided that bass darn sure is meant to be heard, not overwhelming, but definitely heard and noticed.

I agree with "Oh! Gravity", it's a great line. And I'd agree as well with the notion that on "Hello Hurricane" the guitars may well be following him instead of the other way 'round. I also love Tim's playing on "Needle and Haystack Life".
  21. MichaelThomas

MichaelThomas

I'm a really big fan too. Just a little update on his gear: He ditched the Bass POD and the GK 2001-RB .

He now uses a Line6 Lowdown HD750. Along with the FBV shortboard and a Line6 M9. He's still running the same Neo 412 cabs though. I can never tell if he has one or two of them though because he's always draping banners and blankets over his cabs lol.

They we recently featured on Mixonline: http://mixonline.com/photogallery/switchfoot_2010_tour/index27.html

Pretty cool gallery of their gear.