1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Timbre control on Thunderfunk : What Does It Do Exactly ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jnewmark, Nov 10, 2010.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I have heard that the term " timbre " in music described as anything from the " color " of music, to anything that cannot be qualified as pitch or loudness. So what exactly does the " timbre " control do on a Thunderfunk, and how does it differ from the " enhance " control ? Any thoughts, opinions welcome.
  2. Kindness

Kindness

Enhance is like a "loudness" button on a home stereo - a mid scoop (or bass and treble boost) variable by the amount you turn the dial.

Timbre is an effect that "tilts" the frequency response of the amp. Think of the amp having a particular frequency response graph when "flat." Then, when using the Timbre knob, you stick a pin in the frequency response graph at 1kHz and spin the frequency response graph around that 1 kHz pivot to favor one side or other.
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Most amps with ambiguous sounding controls are nothing more than some sort of eq. Whether they "shift" the center point of a certain frequency, or "contour" certain frequencies out, or "enhance" a certain frequency range, or in this case, my guess, wiggle around the overall eq "timbre". Mostly marketing- but if it sounds good, it is.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited

+1

Can add "transparency" and "presence" to that list.....loosely defined as "high treble".
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Supporting Member

I believe the Thunderfunk Timbre control is based on the A.M.P. Timbre control. As Kindness said, if you turn to the left it makes your tone deeper, turn to the right it makes your tone brighter. I don't know exactly how it works, but my guess is that the deep side boosts lows and cuts highs, with the reverse being true for the bright side.

I liked that control when I used A.M.P. gear. Instead of fussing with the semi-para mid controls, it was sometimes easier and more effective to move the Timbre control one way or the other to compensate for a boomy or tinny stage. Usually a little tweak would do.
  6. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

I used to have a Yorkville Mono Block bass head that had a " Sustain " control. It just seemed to make the amp louder. It also had a " Prescence " control that just seemed like another treble control. I guess Timbre is somewhere in that category.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    The "presence" knob on most guitar amps is another treble set to a higher frequency than the knob labelled "treble". Kinda like an adjustable bright switch.
  8. watspan

watspan

the timbre is a great control to quiclky fit your rig to a room with a single knob--a little goes a long way
  9. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    Actually, the presence control on many guitar amps is a variable negative feedback control. Many tube amps (probably most tube guitar amps) use feedback to lower distortion and create a more linear sound. By lowering that amount of feedback, you get a rawer and somewhat brighter tone. So, it can seem like another treble control, but how it does that and the result are very different. The circuit can be tuned to add more treble, but to my ear it affects the whole spectrum. I added this kind of circuit to a Fender Bandmaster and it's pretty cool.
  10. duff2

duff2

In terms of its impact on frequency response, here's what the Thunderfunk timbre control accomplishes:

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Duff2
  11. Kindness

Kindness

Oops, I got my pivot frequency wrong. It had been a few years since I scoped it.
  12. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

Thanks for that! I've been curious what exactly was going on with the Timbre control.
  13. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

That timbre graph is interesting and makes me wonder how the TFB750A would match up with a pair of fEarful 15/6/1 cabs. Even with a -3dB pad on the 18Sound 6.5" mid, they can be a bit mid forward and benefit from the 40-500Hz region being boosted. The TFB750A is reported to have nice stout (and tight) lows and be a bit smoother in the mids. This voicing is supposed to work well with the Berg AE410, beefing up the lows and taming the upper mids. Would this yin/yang work well with the 15/6 cabs as well? Anyone tried this?
  14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It is an overall revoicing control (similar to the Walter Woods 'balance' control and the TecAmp 'taste' control). It is not an enhance control, which boosts bass and treble and cuts mids. The Timbre control literally moves the entire spectrum of the amp up or down the frequency range. It's kind of like moving the entire voicing of the amp up and down.

Extreme settings to the bass side will eliminate all treble, and extreme settings to the treble side will eliminate all bass (going from pure dub, to pure Ric grind).

I never found that control very useful (too extreme for me), but many found it useful on the TF. The Walter Woods version is much more subtle. I never use the TecAmp version either, although it is useful to tame the huge low end of some piezo pickups.

(Edit: Just saw the plot above.. that pretty much sums it up!)
  15. Sartori

Sartori

That's an interesting control. Lots of the really vaguely labeled controls on amps are really just mid scoops, but this one's not that at all. This 'tilting' of the frequency range intrigues me. I imagine that what the rest of the EQ does gets to be quite a bit different depending on what the control is set to. Cool.
  16. kraigo

kraigo

All I can say is that when you're playing and you want a brighter or deeper tone quickly, the "timbre" control is the most useful knob on the AMP BH-420.

KO
  17. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

I found myself wanting a disable button on mine. It had a very wide range of "tones" though. From La Brea Tar Pit on the left to Bull running around in a china shop on the other. Somewhere in the middle was a supposed sweet spot. I never found it. My memory may be exaggerating for effect but thats what if felt like.
  18. NoHomework81

NoHomework81

^^^ the TFB750 Timbre control has a center detent at 0 (with the control going -15 to 0 to +15). I have to assume that 0 is relatively close to "center","neutral", and "disable." I little goes a LONG way, and were it not for the center detent at 0 (satisfying the 'yes it's a zero' feeling), I could see that control bothering the more OCD of us out there.
  19. dannster

dannster Supporting Member

Ha, yeah it was kind of a once you hear it you can't "un-hear" it kind of thing.;)
  20. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Anyone know where I can get a schematic for this?
    Sounds like an interesting experiment.