Time for a tuner pedal! Need help!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by capnjagg, Jan 28, 2014.

1. capnjagg

capnjagg

So I recently got a power supply/daisy chain/patch cables, and I've been in the market for a good tuner pedal to replace the handheld Fender one that came with my Squier 11 years ago.

I've been eying the Korg Pitchblack; it's gotten great reviews, and can easily be found for $35-40 used. However, the latest GC ad came in the mail today, and in it was an ad for the Snark SN-10S on sale for $20. It seems to have good reviews, and that $20 price point is hard to pass up.

So what would you guys recommend? Anybody tried both? Should I just hold out for the Pitchblack? Any other tuners you'd recommend over these two? Any and all help appreciated!
  2. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

3. Shanebo

Shanebo

A used Korg Pitchblack is on my board today.

Previously, a new $25 tuner was there.

Now, there is a shiny, nearly-new $25 tuner sitting in the drawer of pedals that used to be on my board.

So, the lesson I learned (again) is that I paid $25 more than necessary for a tuner that is built well, works great on all my basses, and tracks low B perfectly.

All the best,

Shane
  4. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I use a Korg Pitchblack and like it. It's easy to read and does what it's supposed to do.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. capnjagg

capnjagg

I've heard some Boss pedals are buffer-bypass. Is this the case with the TU-3, and would you recommend it over true-bypass?
  7. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody gives me anything
    Boss TU-3 Has a built in buffer, can be a plus if you've got long cables.
    I have a pitchblack copy (joyo, see "clone army" tag) i like it.
    A fri (if using a wall wart) nd bought the clip on snark and loves it
    Our singer uses a snark clip on his acoustic.
    My lead guitar loves his TC Electronics polytune (which is tiny) .

I think any of these are good options. Personally I prefer a pedal over the clip-on deals as they are muted, easy to use, never have power issues (if you use a wall wart) , and always get a good accurate signal. Each of the tuners I mentioned above has a good selling point. Just need to determine which one appeals the most.
  8. Remus_Redbone

Remus_Redbone

Don't know about the type of bypass. I've been using one about 18 years with no failure & superb accuracy. If mine quits tomorrow, I'll order another one tomorrow night.
  9. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member

10. capnjagg

capnjagg

Looks like the Snark is $20 after rebate. Eh. Also, has anyone tried GFS's tuner pedal?

Have you gotten the chance to compare the Joyo side-by-side with a Korg?

Man, I came here searching for a quick answer, and now I'm just more indecisive. :rolleyes: Thanks for all the help, everyone! I really appreciate it!
  11. Pentatonic

Pentatonic Gold Supporting Member

12. pflash4001

pflash4001

I've got several Boss TU-2's. The only thing I'd use besides that would be a TU-3 (because the TU-2's out of production) It's a great unit! its accurate, functions as a power supply, and as a Boss, it's built like a tank.
  13. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Korg Pitchblack user here. It floats between my guitar a bass pedal chains. Been using it for a few years now and it's been awesome. Much better than the stupid snark thing that could barely track the lower strings and broke within 2 months.

The Pitchblack has a 9-volt out on the back of it next to the 9-volt in, so you can run another pedal off of it when the tuner is not in use.

The regular one is accurate enough for my needs. But if you are super anal about tuning accuracy, then the Pitchblack+ is more accurate.
  14. el murdoque

el murdoque

Pichblack here. 100% satisfied. Tracking of the low B is awesome and tuning is much faster than with my clip on. Also, the mute switch is great to have.
  15. strictlybass_ic

strictlybass_ic Mediocrity is a journey Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody gives me anything
    Haven't had a chance to A/B them side by side. Everything i read said the Joyo was practically a carbon copy of the pitchblack, which seemed like a popular option here on TB. I had concerns about accuracy, but to my ears it seems to have served me well. Whenever I play along with bandmates or the radio everything seems to be in tune.

The response time isn't as fast as I would like, but then again I haven't found a tuner that is. The interface is easy to see and lights up well in lit or dark rooms so that was a big plus.

To note, it has the same "aux" output for daisy chaining power as well. I think it is limited to 200 mA (don't quote the number, but something like that).
  16. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

+1
  17. adi77

adi77 Supporting Member

peterson strobo stomp
  18. Twocan

Twocan Supporting Member

I've been using my TU-2 since 1994 and have never had an issue with it. Hard to argue with that :)
  19. Randyt

Randyt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Adult Pampers
    +1...great pedal and great customer service
  20. bkbirge

bkbirge Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The only reason not to get a turbo tuner would be budget, in every single other measurable way it is the absolute best choice unless you just have to have a headstock tuner. IMO of course.