1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Time for an El Toro Club!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gbrooding, Feb 9, 2014.

1. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

There may not be many of us, so it might be a short list. Any takers? Here is a pic of mine. 1984 Clear Blue

[​IMG]

2. Tom F

Tom F Supporting Member

Don't have one, but I've always been curious about those pickups. Lots of experience with the MFD's on the l-2000's and the single coil MFD's on the old school SB-2's, but I've never tried the smaller humbuckers on the El Toro's.

Love the clear blue! One of my favorite G&L finishes.

3. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
  4. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

That bass now belongs to me and is listed in the TB classifieds. I bought it from a friend of mine who I've known for over 50 years. He bought it from the original owner several years ago and paid a lot more than $829. He's been out of work for over a year and was prepared to give it away because he needed to pay the rent, but instead I had him end the auction and paid him what he had in it. So I'm taking on the burden of trying to sell it for what it's worth. It may take me a while, but I hated to see him take such a huge loss on a very rare instrument. This bass has somebody's name on it and eventually they will get it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

That bass would have MY name on it if I wasn't in the same position as your friend. GLWTS.

7. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

That is a killer looking bass! I will never understand(although I do actually) the soft G&L market. For sub $2000 instruments I have never played a bass from ANY maker that felt as nice to my hands as a G&L. If someone doesn't care for the MFD pup sound I guess I can understand that, but the playability is unmatched in my book.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I was going to point out that that Interceptor is in the TB classifieds for $1,350.

I dunno... good luck with the sale and all, but $1,350 is well beyond any price I've seen on those basses. There was one for sale in GC online a year back. They wanted just under $900 for it, and it languished there forever.

9. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

It doesn't get any better than early G&L.

10. Low Class

That means nothing without knowing anything about condition, year, whammy bar, etc. El Toros have been getting more than were not long ago as it seems the whole G&L vintage market has improved overall.

11. Bassisgood4U

Bassisgood4U Banned

All the El Toro's I've seen online were about $600.

12. Low Class

$1000 1.5 years ago,

http://thebasspalace.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=35&products_id=123

I sold an El Toro on eBay a few years back and it went for $900. I also had a first year NAMM El Toro that went for more.

I've seen early L2000's go for $350 to $1350. You can't spit out a price without knowing anything about condition, etc.

13. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

I dunno, what a store says something sold for and what it actually sold for are 2 different things.

I haven't seen G&L prices shoot up recently. As I own several G&L's, I'd like to think they have, but I haven't noticed anything.

The Interceptor at GC was in great shape. It had, as I recall, a sparkle gold paint job. And it came with a case. I remember it was on the site for a looong time.

14. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I've been in that position also and have parted w/basses that I can't afford to buy now at current going prices. What was paid at one time, what it's worth at market value and what it would be worth to a specific player are all different numbers. If I walked into a shop, played it, and it spoke to me - the asking price would be considered. There's just so much out there for around that price to choose from. Like you say, someone will want it for whatever reason be it for playing or investing in and good on you in helping out your friend.

15. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

I'm in, clear blue too.

[​IMG]

To my ears the El Toro sounds like a bright, aggressive, loud, growly P-J bass. The pickups have a lot of midrange harmonic detail and treble extension. In passive mode it's kind of muddy but it comes alive with the preamp turned on. The treble cut knob lets you dial back the snarl if you want so it's very flexible. There are flavors of Ric 4001, Gibson G3, P and J in there but it has its own voice.

There are six clips on Youtube of George Porter Jr. using one with Snooks Eaglin:

http://youtu.be/nrbT5FWuTXs

:bassist:

16. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Toros have gone up quite a bit recently. Not sure why, as most other vint G&L models seem to have plateaued, at least for now.

17. Templar

I know this is supposed to be an El Toro Club thread, but...

Speaking of Interceptors, does anyone remember the two NOS ones on ebay about ten years ago? Flynn Bros in Chicago listed them at $800 BIN each.

Both were unplayed with tags and case candy. What made them special was their two-tone paint schemes. One was black/cream, and the other was like a Burgundy Mist-ish with another color that I can't recall. Too cool.

Haven't seen another two-tone Interceptor (or any other G&L bass) since. I should have saved the auction pics.

18. Templar

19. PluckyThump

PluckyThump Supporting Member

^ Did you get that off ebay not long ago? I remember seeing a yellow one there. Nice!

20. Templar

Yes

21. gbrooding

gbrooding Supporting Member

Ok, so we have a list!
    gbrooding #1
    PluckyThump #2
    Templar #3

Thanks guys!