Time Keeping Sit Vs. Stand

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by RyRoBass, Dec 3, 2013.

1. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Pre-apologize onto counts- technique seemed the most appropriate for this. Also, tried searching, but couldn't find a thread close enough to this specific question.

Never thought about time as much in my less experienced formative years. Started working on it hardcore on a gig I sat constantly on the past two years.

Standing more now. Find that if I tap with one foot, like when I sit, the static leg locks up and it becomes uncomfortable after not too long. I've found walking in place to be okay, but also tiring after a while.

Any other approaches you guys like?

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Bass face. And bob your head.

Seriously though. How old are you? I only ask because I just put inserts in my gig boots for the first time. My feet were starting to hurt a little the day after gigs. Try to switch feet. It will feel weird for a while, but will allow you to change up the pressure you are putting on one leg. (Try standing on one leg for four hours. It will hurt even if you are not playing bass.)

Also, playing a how is work. (I love it, but it is work.) So I try to stay in shape (not just for playing bass.) When I hit the elliptical machine and changed what I ate (lost 15 pounds so far) it really helped.

3. remainthesame

remainthesame

when i stand i bob my head.

when i sit, i tap my toe in a way thats almost like snapping your fingers. i cross my big toe slightly over the one next to it and push down until the big toe slides off and makes a thump when if hits the floor. drives my mom nuts hahaha

4. RyRoBass

RyRoBass

Head bobbing for sure. I actually forget I'm doing it sometimes. Something about a foot tapping makes me feel more solid with my time. I don't feel as secure with it if I keep switching on account of the other leg getting tired. I'm 23, btw!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

In his video Randy Jackson talks about how we have to dance (the head bobbing others are saying) afterall a big part of our job is to get the listener to dance or bob their heads. Ray Parker Jr said he wore down is teeth because he kept time by chewing in time.

7. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

depend of the style of music ... in classical music you can't tap your foot, bubble your head or dance so you have to be able to count in your head and follow the conductor if there is one so don't get lost went you have a very long tacet.

in other style of music you can pretty much do whatever but it seems the sense of time isn't always as strong because people rely too much on the drummer.