1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Time to build a TL-606 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by webmonster, Dec 17, 2013.

1. webmonster

webmonster

I'm building a TL-606 cab to go with the one I have already.
    I am not very knowledgeable about different timbers so my questions are about this!

Because I want them to stack nicely and I want to retain the correct internal volume of the cab I'll have to use 19mm (3/4") timber. (Please do correct me if I am wrong).

When I removed the driver from my existing cab I could see it is made of MDF, so I was thinking of building my new cab of MDF too.

I could also get Australian hoop pine ply (or radiata pine ply) in sheets of 2400 x 1200mm (94" x 47")

Is MDF inferior or just heavier?

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

If you look around there are bracing schemes to use 12mm and save a lot of weight while keeping the same tuning volumes.

MDF is cheap and nasty but good for industrial scale manufacturing for profit.

What's Hoop Pine? If we're importing it there must be some advantage over our pine. There are lots of grades of plywood for different uses. Properly graded ply gets expensive fast as you go up the grades.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I urge you to convert the plans to 1/2" and add some bracing. Also, you should do a little research on the drivers you plan to use. Adjusting the length of the shelf port could make the cabs work better with the drivers you selected.

4. nick98338

nick98338

Yes. IMHO, MDF is inferior. Whatever the dimensions, I'd rather use good plywood.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I prefer void free plywood (no internal rattles) such as baltic birch. The problem with MDF is that it can fail at pressure points. Drop an MDF cab on its casters and the board can shatter or the casters can punch through.

7. BruceWane

BruceWane

Both.

The only good thing about MDF is that it's cheap.

It is fairly resistant to resonances, and it's easy to work with, so it's good for making prototypes, home stereo and permanently installed sound systems - but I wouldn't consider it for a "real" bass cab. Too heavy, not durable at all, won't stand up to the rigors of regular load in/out.

8. P Town

P Town Guest

I wonder of a cab made with 1/2 inch stock, (with some added internal bracing), built to the same outside dimensions of a cab made using 3/4 inch stock would result in an internal volume that would be close enough, that it would work just fine.

9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    It is the internal dimensions that matter. If anything, you could pull back the volume a tad on the TL606 if you were loading it with a 3015.

10. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

To keep the same external dims while using 1/2" ply the internal bracing will take up some of the increase in internal volume and from there just use a set-back on the soundboard (front baffle). Just requires a little math.

11. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

^^^This. Or just build two new matching cabs and stop lugging that heavy MDF cab around. You'll be better off in the end, and it won't cost that much more, especially since you already have the driver(s) from the first cab.

12. webmonster

webmonster

Aha yes! Thank you! Seems obvious now...

OK. So you've all talked me into the benefits of using (good) plywood, and it sounds like new-fangled 1/2" ply is well worth considering over 3/4".

Here in NZ we're metric and I can get 12mm ply.
    If I use 12mm ply what is a good way to brace?
    Side to side?
    Top to bottom?
    How many braces for each and approx. how big?

13. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

This is the easiest to implement with 1" (25mm) round dowels or 25mm square stock. 12mm does convert to 1/2".

[​IMG]

14. webmonster

webmonster

and
    It will eventually end up with a 3015, so I'll build with this internal volume in mind.
    Should I adjust the port length for a 3015? I think it sounds very good in the existing cab which appears to be exactly to TL-606 spec.

In the meantime the 1992 Eminence from the original cab will end up in the new cab for a while.