Time to Buy Instead of Rent, So Which One?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gymbal31, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Gymbal31

Gymbal31

I've been renting a bass, playing with a bluegrass band. Almost all pizz. There are three used basses for sale in my area, all well within my price range ($1000 - $1300).

Shen SB80 for $1000.

Roth from around 1970 for $1300

E. R. Schmidt model 60, serial number 10108 for $1200

I'll be seeing them in person this weekend.

I've read all the "Buying a Bass" threads and much of what's available on each of the brands. I could use some thoughts and/or opinions on any or all three based on your experiences.

Thanks!
  2. Steve Swan

Steve Swan

Disclosures:
    Retailer: Shen, Sun, older European
    If the Roth has a commonly encountered 40 1/2" string length, it may not have the power and punch to keep up with a loud banjo in a bluegrass band.
  3. Gymbal31

Gymbal31

Good thought. Never would have thought of that myself. I'll take a cloth tape measure with me and check all the string lengths.
  4. RSBBass

RSBBass

I love my SB-80. I haven't played bluegrass with it but I did play for a while with an Irish band (guitar, banjo, mandolin, flute and bass). I had no problem being at a good point in the mix without amplification playing piz.
  5. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

My SB88 (same as the SB80 with an upgraded finish) also keeps up with my band just fine. However, it does have a Full Circle pickup for live gigs that require a bit of added oomph when a PA is used.
  6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

The Shen or Roth may suit your purposes. Don't know anything about the Schmidt (Chinese?). Use your ears and make sure they are in good shape.
  7. Gymbal31

Gymbal31

Well, I bought a bass. I had a nice post all written about it and was about to add pictures, but the forum says "You may not post attachments".
  8. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

So, which one did you get? Having fun with it?
  9. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Yeah, which one? And you can still post your "nice post" with links to the pictures, if you are having trouble attaching them.