1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Time to replace members?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by JustinBeaver, Feb 20, 2014.

1. JustinBeaver

JustinBeaver

Ok so I have a bit of a classic problem with a couple members in my band. Curious how others perceive the situation.

Drummer friend and I decided to form an originals prog/jam band last June. We finally found the right guitarist about 6 weeks ago. Guitarist brought in his friend who plays keys.

Both guitarist and keys player are great musicians and we all click really well during jams. They're thoughtful regarding the songs and the guitarist has some good material he's been bring in. However, after practicing with them for 6 weeks some issues have arisen and in retrospect I wish I had handled them as they occurred.

First, keys player is a huge flake. Out of the 6 practices we've had that he's committed to, he's made it to 2 of them. He always cancels the same day with less than believable excuses. This costs us money as we have to rent practice rooms, but it's also frustrating because it wastes our time.

Second, guitarist has had some trouble coming to practice prepared. It's obvious this guy hasn't been doing much homework. On the plus side he's typically always early and pretty much never misses practices, and generally acts like he's committed. So I'm optimistic he can turn it around.

I have yet to speak to either of them. But obviously something needs to change, we were hoping to be gigging by now and instead we are still trying to put the finishing touches on a few from our first batch of songs (these were songs that were already mostly written too).

On the other hand, there's another guitarist I met after we had settled on the guy above. He's looking and would probably be the perfect fit for this project. So I'm considering replacing keys with this guy, which also gives some insurance against guitarist #1.

I see things as:
    Option #1: Warn keys now and talk w/ guitarist
    Option #2: axe keys, replace with guitarist #2, talk w/ #1

I'm planning on calling keys on the phone next week and having a firm conversation and shooting guitar a polite email a little while after he gets back from vacation.

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any thoughts, and I'll let you know how it turns out.
  2. nutdog

nutdog Supporting Member

Start side project with new guitarist.

"Divide your portion to seven, or even to eight, for you do not know what misfortune may occur on the earth."

:)
  3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I'm of the opinion that, if you like the playing of the key and guitar #1 player, that merits the courtesy of a conversation with them. Especially since you say yourself "you should have addressed it sooner". Address it now, and see what the response is. If they fix it, great. If not, you get rid of them because, in the end, their behavior is not satisfying your needs any way you look at it.
  4. randyripoff

randyripoff

Talk to both of them. Let them know how you're feeling about things. Let them know things need to change. Wait a couple of practices. If things haven't changed, tell them to hit the bricks.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

JustinBeaver

maybe start a second band with different members - later on, use the best players from both. Best wishes and good luck

6. BayStateBass

BayStateBass

Option #1. If you don't see immediate changes, option #2.
  7. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Once a flake always a flake.

My old drummer was like that. He would cancel practice the day of, always after I had already driven well out of my way to get there. Practice space was 60 miles from my house so it was basically 120 miles out of my way, 2hours in driving, gas money, etc. I would go to a different office for work on practice day just to make the trip to the practice space shorter. If we didn't have practice there was NO reason for me to go to that office.

He was also horrible with time management. He'd go to the bathroom and come back 30 minutes later with a sandwich or something. I wanted to punch him...

Definitely talk to them about it...