1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Time to upgrade to a real bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fusion man 85, Dec 11, 2013.

1. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

I been jamming on budget ibanez for two years its time to upgrade im lookn at a fender jazz standard or fretlless squier jazz I nvr use my p style pick up on the ibanez thats why im goin the jazz route I playd a few jazzs like em a lot but havnt been able to find a fretless lookn for sum insight on them more the standard fender

2. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Did sum internet research on cl and youtube and man is a fretless a whole diffrent sound smooth deep and clear I like the sound found a squier for 225 on cl isnt that a little high when there 300 new found a lotta jazzs just not meeting my color and neck options price is rite for.them all 900 and under

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

First and foremost, please type out entire words, this is a forum for adults not a text message. (I do not care if people get uppity and call me the grammar police)

Secondly, I would never recommend the VM fretless to one of my students. Every one I have seen has not had the neck radiused from the factory so the plastic fret line markers are raised above the fretboard, making a low setup impossible as the raised lines create fretbuzz. I had to re radius the neck on mine as did several others I know of. I happen to be comfortable doing this and had the proper radius sanding block on hand, most do not. Apparently there are some proper examples from the factory but the 10 or so I have seen all have this issue.

4. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

Fretless isn't just a sound, you have to play smarter. If you just use the bridge J pickup on your Ibanez have you looked at the Sterling SUB basses? Despite having some relatively expensive basses I like mine a lot.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Real bass...
    [​IMG]

For fretless electric there are lots of choices. And many of them are listed in the Talkbass classifieds right now.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

+1. Punctuation helps too.
    I heard the newer ones don't have that problem any more, but I may be wrong.

8. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

At least this kid is getting off of the fake bass. Amirite?

Also +5million to the grammar police... reading that crap kills brain cells. Just think about what typing that way can do.

9. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out.... Gold Supporting Member

+1...no complaints here!

and, I don't feel like a Squire is a step up from a cheap Ibanez. I know that there are many people who swear by Squiers here, but they sort of fit the same bill as a "cheap Ibanez" in my book.

I would take the time to save the extra money, and go with the Fender Jazz. Regardless of where it is made, a straight out Fender Jazz is going to be the "Step up"

10. jefkritz

jefkritz

Fretless basses are awesome, but they're real hard to play well. I would suggest getting a 'real' bass with frets, and THEN get a fretless to expand your tone palette.

Jazz basses are great. If you're patient, you can get a used MIM fender jazz for about $300.

11. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Sorry for the bad grammar I was just waking up then.I`ll go check some of the stearling subs they have a few at a mom and pop music shop I go to somtimes.

12. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

Forgot the squier price 300 range is the bottom of my budget the max is 1200 but I am not about to cash it all on one bass, I do have project motorcyles thay need some love to

13. woodyng

woodyng

In my quest for the holy fretless,i started cheap with a budget yamaha,traded for a MIM Fender Jazz,and traded again for a Carvin ac40. Turns out the fretless sound i was looking for was more of a URB sound. I have to say i didn't think the jazz bass was much of an improvement over the yamaha,altho it cost twice as much. I am very happy with the Carvin.

14. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

A budget of $300-500 for a 'used bass' should get you in right territory. However, pawn shops or stores with overpriced basses are to be avoided. The 'used' bass selection in the majority of stores in my recent experience are very reasonable quality and price.

Most owners of a fretless bass on this forum are not using a fretless as their primary bass. Write that down. ;)

15. fusion man 85

fusion man 85

After the fretless I plan on trying some 5ers out but thats not happen anytime soon. plan on turning the.fretless in to my main bass just to be diffrent then everyone I know

16. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Looks more like some sort of wind instrument.

17. bjabass

bjabass

I used to have a bong like that one....:D

18. JACink

JACink

Me too, but mine had 4 strings.

19. THORRR

THORRR Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have an American Fender Jazz in Candy Cherry Red w/maple neck & board, EMGX pups and EMG matching 3-band Pre-amp that's a Tone Monster! It's available,

and I have a Fender Blacktop in Blizzard Pearl White (with 2 P-Pups, Rosewood Fretless board.

Both of these are well within your budget.
    If interested or even curious, PM me with your email address and I can send you pics and details.

- THORRR :bassist: :cool:

20. tooley

tooley

21. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

The Squier VM fretless is a good bass. They are well made, sound fantastic, and aren't too expensive.