1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Timeframe for CL ads

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by pglaser01, Feb 23, 2014.

1. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    Hey guys,

Quick question...how long would you wait to hear back from an ad? I saw an ad for 90s band looking for a bass player and I've been hoping to do 90s alternative since I started playing bass! So I inquired on Thursday morning. I heard back from the BL a few hours later with their set list and if I liked it let him know and we'd set up an audition. I contacted him later Thursday night saying it sounded great and I'd love to set up a jam with them. Haven't heard back since. So how long would wait to say hey I'm still interested or just say I guess they changed their minds???
  2. pipFunk

pipFunk

When you say you contacted him, was that in an actual conversation or by e-mail/text type?

Thursday night was only one "working" day ago. Maybe he's busy over the weekend? Or, perhaps he's getting in touch with the other guys in the band to agree some dates for audition...

Seriously, I wouldn't write it off just yet.

Patience, Grasshopper...
  3. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    Understandable...excitement and patience never seem to mesh with each other haha. However, say a few more days to a week pass with no word. At what point do you start thinking something up?

Basically I'd like to keep my interest without seeming overly pressing.
  4. obimark

obimark

If they are serious you should hear something by tomorrow- Monday. If not just write it off as typical CL loser crap. Many of the people that post on there are not really bands, they are perpetrators.
  5. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

There is no set rule - those really on the ball usually contact within hours. I recommend not waiting, and just keep looking, and if and when they contact you - great.
  6. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

I don't know why but CL seems to get more than it's fair share of weirdos. I've had some people get right back to me and I've had some I didn't hear from for over a week but the deal still went through. No set rule for a callback seems to be the rule here. I've had some send 2 or 3 e-mails before calling even though I almost always put my phone number in my ads and if I'm answering and e-mail , I always put my phone number in the first response. Some people that do the e-mail thing don't seem to communicate well over the phone. Some I guess are using their phones for e-mail which leaves out some stuff that a computer e-mail will have and I guess some of them are just plain weird. Give 'em a couple days and shoot them another e-mail. If nothing happens , just write it off as another CL weirdo.
  7. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

A few things:

1) Not everyone is glued to a smartphone 24/7 so some people take longer to reply. You may not like that, but it is a fact.

2) Not everyone checks their messages 24/7, whether they have a smartphone or not. Heck, maybe he is using his work address and cannot access it over the weekend - happened to me for my last audition.

3) A band is one aspect of a person's life. He has other stuff going on, too. It may take priority.

4) He is (hopefully) not the sole member of his band :) As someone stated previously, he may himself be waiting on feedback re: a good date to schedule an audition

5) Best of luck, let us know how it went!
  8. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Short info on why I seem a bit proactive though. My current band, the drummer and myself and pretty much responsible for everything, can't get others to lift a finger much to put us out there and they only claim to want to gig out a few times a year in the same place every time.

I am really excited about this new possible audition because it's a more established band playing music I love.

But the downside is while waiting to hear back, I have gotten ANOTHER offer from a band, however it doesn't seem as established and it's a further drive from home. So I'm ok waiting to hear back, but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot stringing along this other offer and wind up with neither.....know what I mean???

Thanks again!!!
  9. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

Two options are better than one. The best time to find a job is when you already have one. Same as a band. Just because you are in one band, doesn't mean you have to give up on your dream band. You would kick yourself for not taking the second opportunity if you turn out to never hear from the first band, or if you try out for the first band and they don't take you. If you have both bands wanting you; take the better opportunity.
  10. vishuddha

vishuddha 100% Mediocre Supporting Member

I typically respond within a couple of hours if I am interested. I respond within a day or two if I am letting them know that I'm not interested. If I am irritated by someone (asking me to play a completely different genre, doesn't have a car/gear/job, clearly egotistical) then they probably don't get a response at all.

That being said, if I email someone in regards to THEIR CL ad, I usually give them 3 or 4 days to respond before I write them off as flaky.
  11. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    Thanks again for the replies guys. Heard back from option #1...hopefully all goes well...but I'll still audition with option #2 as well...its just a really long drive (hour plus each way)...
  12. thebates

thebates Supporting Member

It's much tougher now to hook up with a band. No doubt about it. Moving away from hard copy (paper adds) has hurt the business just like it has the dating scene. Good luck hooking up there too!
    Give me Trading Times Music Grapevine, any day of the week! You got a phone number, and within a week you would be in a DECENT band.
    Meanwhile, hang in there my friend. Response to a good add might be overwhelming them.
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

For what its worth, I replied to an ad looking for an upright player for some kind of recording session. Three or four days later I got a cryptic email back that was ambiguous about whether they would call me or whether I should call them. I figure they will call me eventually. Or not. Either way is good.
  14. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    So quick report...it went very well, the guys were very, very tight musically which made it easier finally not having to fight with a guitarist over sonic space!!! They originally wanted me play 3 songs with them as an audition. Wound up asking me to stay for around 3 hours, and played through the set list from their last show. Said I sounded really good and best of the ones they'd auditioned so far. but still have one more to audition, so now we play the waiting game again. Thanks again everyone for the tips!!!
  15. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

2 weeks.
    My last CL audition was 2 weeks ago and have not heard back.
    Next!
  16. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    In actuality the audition was Friday night. I just hadn't been able to get this on here last few days. I'm not sure when they were going to audition the last guy depending on their availability.