1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

timeline / timefactor / DL-4 ???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

hi all, so... I have started to get increasingly tempted by trying one of the aforementioned uber-powerful digital delays... now these pedals have been out for a few years, what's the current thinking of those of you who have lived with them for a while??

I normally like my FX really simple, and just have a small board with Oc-2, an overdrive, a fuzz and a chorus, but i've never really found a delay that does what I want!!

which do people think sounds best, and which can do the most 'extra' things like filters, trems, pitch shifts, etc??

thanks all!

2. aledeville

aledeville

DL4 is just too old. The bypass of that thing is a joke. It's not just dimming some highs, but literally bringing down the level.
    So, to use it you need to mod it. I don't see any sense in this - apart from a pricing point - when there are pedals like the timefactor and the timeline. They are way ahead of the DL4.

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Another option is the Line 6 M9. Can be had used for around the same price as the DL4, and does about a million other things really well too. The footprint is a little larger, but it's worth it. Love mine.

4. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

thanks for the opinions... I've been doing a bit more demo watching, etc, and the el capistan looks pretty good!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jasonmitsch

jasonmitsch

+1
    My m9 slays my roommates DL4 to my ears, not to mention everything else it does.

The awesomeness of the m9 doesn't stop my gas for a timeline though.

I have an Eventide H9 and that has cured my gas for the timefactor. The delays are all pristine and all outperform the line6, so if you have the skrilla you should go with eventide or strymon over the line6.

7. T2k5

T2k5

I use the Timeline, it's an amazing pedal. However, if you like SIMPLE effects, this one isn't for you. It has so many things to tweak and so many different delay types that it will do pretty much anything you need, as long as you take the time to set it up. The presets are quite good so you don't have to start from scratch. The looper can also be operated while using the delay, and can be controlled through MIDI. It also does pitch shifting, filtering etc., the ICE-mode is my personal favorite.

Definitely worth trying out, the UI is simple but has a lot of stuff to tweak so it might not be what you're looking for.

8. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

ok cool, thanks. I'm open to something more involved, as this will be more for home use, I have my live setup pretty much nailed down - but love using delays at home.

can you get a good analog tone out of the timeline? I know lots of digital delays claim to model analogs, but yet to try one that gets particularly close!

also, can you tell me a bit about the pitch shifting and filter capabilities - how much can you modify these, or use as 'stand alone' FX??

thanks - definitely tempted by the timeline. the el capistan looks really good, but the looper, presets etc of the timeline are tempting!

9. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

cheers - I think i'd be going for an M9 if it wasn't for the fact that the timeline just looks so awesome!

10. T2k5

T2k5

I haven't used any half-decent real analog delays so can't comment too much on this. When compared to other digital "analogs", it does its work very well.

The pitch shifter goes from -1 octave to +2 octaves in ICE-mode, see the manual I linked for details (page 12). The filter depends on delay mode. They can be used somewhat standalone by setting the repeats to minimum and increasing the mix, but a dedicated pedal will be much more useful in that setting. When used with a bit more delay, they sound good.

You can find some very helpful samples on Youtube and check the user manual here http://www.strymon.net/documents/TimeLine_UserManual_REVD.pdf.

11. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

ok, thanks - i'll have a look!

12. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

right... just had a read, this thing does sounds veeeery cool, bit crusher too!!