1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tin Whistle (penny whistle) players

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 30, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake Supporting Member

Got a Clarke tin whistle in D of Christmas. Was finally able to spend some time with it yesterday. I can play some simple songs so far. The most difficult thing is making sure the pads on my fingers cover the holes completely so I don't get squeaks.
    I can see this intrument working with some of the songs my band plays.
    Any other tin whistle players?

[​IMG]
  2. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

I'd hesitate to call myself a player - I'm not that good. But I do have a few I mess around with when the wife isn't around the house. She can't stand them.

Or maybe it's just my lack of ability.

Is that a Sweetone?
  3. slobake

I am a total beginner myself. My wife likes it and she is talking about getting one for herself. That would be sweet.
    That one is a Clarke Celtic Tin Whilstle. Just like a Sweetone but with different ornamentation.
    There are lots of great tutorials on Youtube.
  4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Supporting Member

I wanted to get my wife interested but something about the timbre just gets to her. She can take it in small doses or with the people I jam with - trad Celtic.

She much prefers I play bodhrán.

I like the Clarke whistles with the wooden plug in the mouthpiece.
  5. Ironbar

Ironbar

I got myself one last Christmas as I thought it would be easier than playing the recorder. Wrong again. I just need to stay away from wind instruments. I suck at all of them.
  6. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

When Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance" musical was a big hit back in the late nineties and when the internet was just beginning to blossom this place http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/ was a hot little internet forum for all things tin whistle and Irish music in general.

I kinda gave penny whistle a go for a couple of years but couldn't really get the feel for the real fancy ornamented stuff that sounds good for solo whistle, so rather than be mediocre I decided to just give up. Oh well.
  7. JehuJava

JehuJava I endorse myself Supporting Member

Wish I could rip on one...
  8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Supporting Member

I have a Jerry Freeman tweaked Bluebird in D, but I've never progressed beyond angry mouse noises.
  9. slobake

Right now I can play Mary Had a Little Lamb and Frere Jacques. ;-)
  10. Gazman

Gazman Supporting Member

I definitely can't play, but I jammed once with Vinnie Kilduff in Ireland. He is like the Yngwie Malmsteen of the whistle.

http://youtu.be/E0387zjeB7Q

Have fun, greatness beckons.
  11. jugglingfreak

jugglingfreak

Oddly enough, Rodney Anonymous of the Dead Milkmen, is quite an excellent penny whistle player.
  12. JehuJava

JehuJava I endorse myself Supporting Member

Now, that IS interesting.
  13. slobake

Learning the whistle part of "Concerning Hobbits" from The Lord Of The Rings soundtrack. YouTube is a great resource for learning to play a tin whistle I have the first part down.
  14. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

Ha...you WILL get Tin Whistle GAS if you keep it up.

My mom gave me one for Xmas many moons ago. I didn't think much of it at the time. Then I actually broke it out and played it for 3 hours straight.

I could play it almost instantly, because I played the oboe for many years, and the fingerings are mostly the same.

I have four Tin Whistles now...they're a lot cheaper than basses!

Listen to some Flogging Molly and Pogues. It will inspire you!

Congrats!
  15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Excellent! Keep sheddin'! :bassist: