1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tin Whistle (penny whistle) players

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Dec 30, 2013.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2011
    San Franciscco, CA
    Got a Clarke tin whistle in D of Christmas. Was finally able to spend some time with it yesterday. I can play some simple songs so far. The most difficult thing is making sure the pads on my fingers cover the holes completely so I don't get squeaks.
    I can see this intrument working with some of the songs my band plays.
    Any other tin whistle players?

[​IMG]

2. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I'd hesitate to call myself a player - I'm not that good. But I do have a few I mess around with when the wife isn't around the house. She can't stand them.

Or maybe it's just my lack of ability.

Is that a Sweetone?

3. slobake

Aug 6, 2011
    San Franciscco, CA
    I am a total beginner myself. My wife likes it and she is talking about getting one for herself. That would be sweet.
    That one is a Clarke Celtic Tin Whilstle. Just like a Sweetone but with different ornamentation.
    There are lots of great tutorials on Youtube.

4. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I wanted to get my wife interested but something about the timbre just gets to her. She can take it in small doses or with the people I jam with - trad Celtic.

She much prefers I play bodhrán.

I like the Clarke whistles with the wooden plug in the mouthpiece.

5. Ironbar

Ironbar

Aug 24, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I got myself one last Christmas as I thought it would be easier than playing the recorder. Wrong again. I just need to stay away from wind instruments. I suck at all of them.

6. When Michael Flatley's "Lord of the Dance" musical was a big hit back in the late nineties and when the internet was just beginning to blossom this place http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/ was a hot little internet forum for all things tin whistle and Irish music in general.

I kinda gave penny whistle a go for a couple of years but couldn't really get the feel for the real fancy ornamented stuff that sounds good for solo whistle, so rather than be mediocre I decided to just give up. Oh well.

7. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Wish I could rip on one...

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a Jerry Freeman tweaked Bluebird in D, but I've never progressed beyond angry mouse noises.

9. slobake

Aug 6, 2011
    San Franciscco, CA

Right now I can play Mary Had a Little Lamb and Frere Jacques. ;-)

10. I definitely can't play, but I jammed once with Vinnie Kilduff in Ireland. He is like the Yngwie Malmsteen of the whistle.

http://youtu.be/E0387zjeB7Q

Have fun, greatness beckons.

11. Oddly enough, Rodney Anonymous of the Dead Milkmen, is quite an excellent penny whistle player.

12. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA

Now, that IS interesting.

13. slobake

Aug 6, 2011
    San Franciscco, CA
    Learning the whistle part of "Concerning Hobbits" from The Lord Of The Rings soundtrack. YouTube is a great resource for learning to play a tin whistle I have the first part down.

14. TheFantod

TheFantod #5 of the Pentaverate. Took Col. Sanders' spot. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Eastern N.C.
    Ha...you WILL get Tin Whistle GAS if you keep it up.

My mom gave me one for Xmas many moons ago. I didn't think much of it at the time. Then I actually broke it out and played it for 3 hours straight.

I could play it almost instantly, because I played the oboe for many years, and the fingerings are mostly the same.

I have four Tin Whistles now...they're a lot cheaper than basses!

Listen to some Flogging Molly and Pogues. It will inspire you!

Congrats!

15. Excellent! Keep sheddin'! :bassist: