1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tina Weymouth

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jul 30, 2000.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'll try this one again.

Is Tina Weymouth any good? I can't tell ... I've been watching the Talking Heads' "Stop Making Sense" DVD, and it really bugs me the way the fingers on her left hand flail around like that. She seems to have a groove, but her technique is suspect. She was having trouble with articulating note lengths on a couple of the tunes. Help me out here.

2. Monkey

Monkey

I love Tina Weymouth, but if you are watching her for tips on technique, you're missing the point. I love her grooves, and how she is very selfless in her playing. She is not worried about showing off or playing the killer fill. You will never hear her playing "Donna Lee" or tapping with her tongue or whatever, but she lays down a good groove. I try to judge bassists with my ears and not my eyes. If they can play inspiring music, be it simple or complex, I think they are good.

3. jerry

jerry Definitely not trending Gold Supporting Member

i started out not likeing tina, but after speaking in tongues, i had to give her props!
    great grooves! anybody remember busta cherry
    jones?

------------------
    aloha, jerry

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

I've said this before, but if you are interested, check out "Fear of Music" for some of the most original and inventive bass lines in rock music. Who cares about technique, for sheer musical intelligence and taste, she has to be considered a very good bassist and innovator.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. blipndub

blipndub Supporting Member

I agree with Bruce, in fact, both Fear of Music and More Songs About Building and Food are absolutely brilliant. None of the players really do anything all that impressive (except maybe Adrian Beliew) but it's the whole that is so fantastic.

My favorite T. Head's album is Remain in Light which has the coolest, deepest grooves! But I remember hearing something that due to a spat with Byrne, Weymouth didn't cut all the tracks on that album if any. Does anyone know about this?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I can go with that.

8. The Owl

The Owl

Yeah, Busta Jones (great name for a funk bassist BTW! :D ) was pulled into the Talking Heads for the Remain In Light tour (though AFAIK, Tina did cut the bass tracks on the original album), but Tina was less than thrilled at the idea of 2 bassists in the same band, so she would play extra synth or guitar parts out of necessity so Busta had room to play. She liked his playing but she was royally ticked at David Byrne for making her take a back seat (she once described the situation as like 2 kings trying to occupy the same palace).

Busta Jones recorded and toured with a ton of folks (Eno, Sharks, Gang of Four, Alvin Lee and more). He was quite the cokehead too I hear and ultimately, it cost him his life (he died sometime in the 90's)

http://www.chrisspedding.com/session/bj/bj.htm

9. beaulandry

beaulandry

Check out their last album, "Naked". If it's her playing, I say she is pretty great by my standards.

10. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

In my opinion technique is sometimes overated. Jamerson used only one finger on his right hand. Prestia uses basically two on his left! I'll admit great technique is impressive to watch, but I'll take listening to a great groove eveytime!

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Supporting Member

Wow - over a 5 -year gap in posts!! :eek:

That has to be a record for ressurrecting the dead!! ;)

12. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Media:
    I just like the way she moves her hips ...

fretlessguy likes this.
  13. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

I love her playing. She created her own type of -thumpy funk- that many, many a bassist are still copying to this day.

14. fraublugher

fraublugher

necromancing old threads is fun

15. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

exactly!

Tina is amazing!! She put me over the top on being a versitile player by using a pick. On "Stop Making Sense" the best groove is "Making Flippy Floppy" IMHO. She has groove for days. Isn't that what bass is about?
    ;)

I remember her saying in an interview that she approaches fingerstyle like classical guitar. Sometimes using the thumb if that answers your question about her unorthadox style.

16. Joe Garage

Joe Garage

Im starting to really get into Talking Heads, and I love Tina's funky grooving bass lines. I especially dig her bass line on the song called Life During Wartime.

17. Thor

Thor Thanks Andy Pyle for showing me the way. Supporting Member

Media:
    I read an interview with her some years back. Snippets
    of it return.

"I never played bass before ... I let David mold me ... I played
    whatever he told me to."

I guess the genius was the puppet master.

18. bassist15

bassist15

I started listening to the talking heads not to long after I started playing bass and she was probably the most influencial on me at that time. Simple , yet funky lines. Contrary to alot of belief , she did play on Remain in Light. She said one night she came in the studio after a bunch of people had left and the producer or engineer begged her to record new parts instead of Eno's and Byrne's cause they werent getting the feel right. Thats from a story she tells on bassplayer magazine site.

19. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Not to hijack the thread too much, but: At the SXSW festival last week, I saw David Byrne and Jerry Harrison hanging out together at a club. Granted, they weren't speaking to each other when I saw them, but they were separated by only a few feet, and I saw them for about 15 minutes at this spot (couldn't be a coincidence, right?). Given the legal issues Byrne had in the '90s with the other three, maybe this indicates that the rift is really between Byrne and Weymouth/Frantz. But that's mere speculation...

20. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

check her playing on "I Zimbra" i love that line.

21. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Anybody notice how old this thread is?

BTW, the single most successful pop song to come out of the Talking Heads universe is arguably the Tom Tom Club's "Genius Of Love". Great singing and playing on that song by Tina.