1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tingly feeling in hand.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Schmorgy, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

So I try to make a habit to practice for an hour and a half every day. I do all the stretches and warmups so as not to strain myself, as I've been there and done that with sports and do not want to repeat the rigamarole of physio with my wrists.

That said, the other day I was maybe hitting the 45 minute mark of some rather casual slap technique practice, not really getting too hardcore into it (mostly just RHCP and the little incubus I can attempt) when I fretted a note normally and felt a huge pins-and -needles sensation (like when you restrict blood flow to a limb and then try to use it) that started at the finger tip (middle finger) and ran all the way down to the inside of my arm just below the elbow. I decided to give the bass a rest for the day, and when I went back to it 2 days later, the inside of my arm still felt really tight and almost swollen.

Fast forward a week later without having touched the bass just to be sure, and everything feels normal, but I'm worried that this may be indicative of a bigger problem.

Something worth worrying about, or am I just going at it too hard?
  2. fearceol

fearceol

It could have something to do with your fretting hand technique. Do you grip the neck very tight, or do you press down hard with the fingers when fretting ?

It could also be due to having the wrist at a sharp angle. Below is a link to a L/H technique video clip. You may learn something from it. It might also be a good idea to get a teacher to look at your technique and advise you.

If you take the advice in the video clip, and the problem returns, then it would be best to seek medical advice.

3. INTP

INTP

I am not a doctor, and I second the suggestion that you see one...

but it sounds like you aggravated your median nerve.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Median_nerve

Look at your posture, to be sure. I also agree that the link that fearceol posted is useful.

And see a doctor.

Good Luck
  4. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    It might be a problem with your technique but the fact that you feel there is swelling indicates that you should see a doctor.
  5. Schmorgy

Schmorgy

I've actually been basing my technique on that video for the last few months. I'll see if it might be that my thumb's gripping the neck too hard by lightening my grip completely and see if the issue goes away.

Thanks for the help guys.
  6. fearceol

fearceol

If that's the case, and the problem is still there, then it may not be bass related. Perhaps playing the bass merely makes an existing problem worse.

IMO, this increases the urgency to seek medical advice.
  7. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

+1 Nerve damage.

It doesn't sound too serious, but if happens again I would see a doctor.
  8. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike Supporting Member

There is a sticky in this forum on Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
    A doctor is your best resource.
    There are tests they can do and often ways to treat it without surgery.
    If it is Carpal, it's about inflammation and swelling so ice and rest would be your friends.
    also warmup stretches.
  9. Russell L

Russell L

Tingly = nerve. For goodness sake, see the doc.
  10. Darren Low

Darren Low

I had this problem before and it went away on its own :oops: hasn't come back since.